Purchasing Laptop for Church + Projector

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, title kind of explains it. I'm purchasing a laptop for our church's use. It'll mainly be used for documents (Pastor's computer while at the church), and then projecting PPTs and movies with a projector that has yet to be purchased.

We have a rough budget of $750 (that's the grant funding we got) but can cover probably an extra $100 if need be.

I'm having trouble figuring out why there's such a vast price difference between these two HP models (listed below in screen shots) and was wondering if you see something I don't. All I see is the hard drive. In fact, if I dropped the extra 12 cell battery on the already cheaper model, it'd be even cheaper! All I see as a major difference is the hard drive size, and that's not enough to justify the difference. It'd be nice if the least expensive one is fine, then I can get a year or two of accidental damage protection.

dv6t

g62t

Also, will the Core i3 be proficient for these tasks? I have no experience with the "i" series, let alone the mobile versions. I think I can get an i5 for an extra $100. But if we don't need it, I don't need it to get it.

Thanks!

Dont have any xp with laptops, but from what i can see the difference that is mentioned/specified above is the,

Webcam + microphone + extra 70gb more hdd space and 12 cell battery. I don't seem to see the price on any of the PC's, whats the price difference?

By the way Dude, I never new you worked for a Church, what you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Dont have any xp with laptops, but from what i can see the difference that is mentioned/specified above is the,

Webcam + microphone + extra 70gb more hdd space and 12 cell battery. I don't seem to see the price on any of the PC's, whats the price difference?

By the way Dude, I never new you worked for a Church, what you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Actually, there's a 12 cell with both, except with the more expensive one it's the main battery and the lesser one it's actually added as an extra! (and still cheaper!!)

You probably didn't scroll right on the picture. The dv6t is $775, the g62t $645.

And no, don't mind at all. I "work" but I don't get paid, so it's volunteer work, really. I'm on the Session board (the only "board" at our church), so I'm blessed to work with people who are many years older than me and help make decisions. I'm one of only six people who have this position. They brought me in for a "youthful" input on decisions. I ended up kind of as the head of the technology department. Right now we are working on a rear projection screen project. I'll post some pics when I'm done! It'll be a neat thing to see happen in a more traditional church (First Presbyterian).

Thats cool. If a Catholic Church did that, I think the universe would implode. There are a few that won't let you in the building with a cell phone... lol.

Is the 12 cell battery necessary? It seems like a waste of money to me if this is for a church.

It may or may not be. I'll discuss it with the Session tonight at our monthly meeting. I figured I'd throw it in case the pastor would like to take it to the quarterly Presbytery meeting (all day meeting with lots of people from lots of other Presbyterian churches in the area) in case they don't have plug ins and whatnot.

But like I said, it's not a done deal.

If I do NOT get the battery, should I use the extra bucks to upgrade to an i5?

K. That's kinda what I thought too. Thanks a bunch, I'll let you know what happens.

Just an FYI. We ended up dropping the extra battery because my pastor JUST bought her own laptop, so she'd use that at meetings, not the church laptop. Otherwise, I went with the above configuration of the G62t. We added a 2 year accidental protection warranty so the total was like $800 I think since I had a coupon. We'll eventually get the tax back since we are tax exempt, but we have to send all the paperwork in to HP to credit my card. I haven't gotten the laptop yet, but I'll shoot a message back when I receive it. Looks like it'll do us just fine for what we need it for.

Thanks to all who had some input with this. I'm pretty good with desktop technology, but when it comes to laptops, I'm always a little back on my technology...especially since the release of the "i" series from Intel.

Back
Top Bottom