Pulling the trigger on a new HS/Fan

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
I'm about to order one off newegg along with a new laptop battery and a sound card.

Would you all say that the Zalman 9700 is the best choice? Is there something that might perform better, even if it is a little more expensive? Looks are somewhat important since my case has a window, and if I DO get the Zalman, I'll try to do something about the blue or green LEDs. My whole case is red. :D

If you go for the thermalright get the Ultra 120 extreme, not the Ultra 120 that freestyler has linked (the extreme has an extra heatpipe)

I have the scythe 1900rpm on my TU120e, it's near silent at 1700rpm

I like the look of the Arctic that Bullzi linked but the push pin mounts are not to my liking, it's a personal call I suppose.

The TU120e would be the best performer to date of the two (Tu120e & Tuniq Tower) but the fans you buy have a massive effect on temps.

If you think you have room for it have a look at the Thermalright IFX-14 :D

are any of these heatsinks installable without removing the motherboard? something about the AC freezer attatching via clips only?

The Arctic does not require m/board removal by the looks of it, same mounting procedure as the stock cooler by the looks.

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO and the OCZ Vendetta which I have are probably the best price to performance coolers. They both use push-pins for installation onto the motherboard so they are very quick and easy to install, push-pins are OK as long as the heatsink doesn't use anything bigger than a 92MM fan. If you want maximum overclocking potential, then the Thermalright ULTRA 120 Extreme is the best choice, it uses a backplate that requires you to remove the motherboard to install. And with the fan, it's going to be at least twice of the Freezer 7 PRO or the Vendetta.

Whoops, I meant to link to the Extreme. Looks like newegg doesn't have it, I just searched Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and that's what it linked me to.

Post edited.

It depends what's most important to you. Performance vs. ease of installation/price.

Update:

After much consideration and research, I think that I'll be ordering the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for my Q6600. I really don't feel like removing my motherboard at all, and the quicker this install is, the better. I've got two final questions before I go ahead and order this off Newegg.

1. The installation of this new heatsink/fan WILL require removal of the actual CPU, right? If so, this will obviously require a re-application of thermal grease. I should just go ahead and get some AS5 for this, I assume.

2. I've got an ASUS P5K-E motherboard. Anybody have experience with this motherboard AND the AC Freezer 7 Pro? I saw ONE person who mentioned a tight squeeze regarding ASUS motherboards and I sure hope that doesn't occur here.

Cheers,

Chris

You will need to clean the CPU heatspreader and the HS base using isopropyl alcohol. The P5K doesn't have extravagent cooling as the Gigabyte P35 DQ6 does and the AC F 7 PRO isn't huge so I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems. I have the P5K and the OCZ Vendetta which is the same size as the Freezer 7 PRO and it mounted fine with lots of room around. I found it easier to mount it and then put the fan on otherwise it was hard to press the push pins.

Back
Top Bottom