PSU Rail, voltages etc...

dan7777

In Runtime
Ok, I've just looked here...

http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_4.html

I understand that PSU's can supply multiple 12V rails etc. However, I don't understand how this is shared exactly, and when you stop sharing.

Most connectors all have at least one yellow 12V wire. Along with other wires supplying voltages from different wires.
So, how many volts does a single wire from a 12V rail provide exactly? Like 1V? Which slowly adds up across all your different connectors until you've maxed out your 12V rail?

Sorry if this post is confusing. I'm pretty confused. I'm looking at my setup now. On the psu label, it says that the 12V1 rail is for the motherboard and CPU, and the 12V2 rail is used for PCI-E and accessories.
I have the PCI-E connector in one graphics card, and then a PCI-E adapter changing 2 4pin molex connectors, which connect power to the second card. - How do I know if I'm drawing all my power from one 12V, or if it's split across both?

I know this is a confusing post, but I really help someone can help me understand exactly what's going on.

Cheers!

ps I know my psu can handle it regardless, I just want to understand what's happening exactly.

Back
Top Bottom