PSU issue?

DCM

Solid State Member
Hello,

Need some assistance as this is starting to drive me nuts now.

For a few months now, to my memory, my computer does not like to boot up after pressing the power button. I shut it off at night, and when I would wake up in the morning, I push the power button, to no avail.

That changed. Now, I have to turn off the PSU switch in the back as well before I go to bed. When I wake up, I flick the PSU on, push the power button. The lights inside would go on, like the cathlode and MB light, otherwise it does nothing. I must push it like 500 times before it finally boots up. But wait, there's more.

Sometimes it just won't boot up, so I have to flick the PSU off and back on and try again, several times. Then, sometimes when it boots up, it'll get to the Windows XP logo boot screen, before returning to the "dead" zone again, which results in flicking the PSU off, and on and again, pushing the power button. Usually turns on after one to five pushes and I am good to go.

I told a friend of mine this, and he tells me it could have something to do with all the gizmos inside the case. Specs below.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (Socket AM2)
RAM: 4096MB DDR OCZ High Performance DDR2
VC: Sapphire Radeon HD2900XT 512MB (PCI-E)
MB: Asus M2R32-MVP
PSU: OCZ Game Xtreme 700W
HD: 320GB Western
HD: 320GB Western
HD: 80GB Maxtor

Is it possible, because of the three hard drives and the 700W PSU, that I should look into an 850 or 1000W? That there isn't enough energy to power it all at once? Especially when I am thinking of converting to 500GBs, and adding one more HDD as well.

Going with a more powerful PSU could never hurt. But once you get your machine to boot, does it run normally? I mean, do you only seem to have an issue when doing a cold boot? If you only have issues when booting, that might indicate a motherboard problem.

unless that psu is defective or dying, it puts out more than enough power to run that system, my guess is that it's not the psu...

Going with a more powerful PSU could never hurt. But once you get your machine to boot, does it run normally? I mean, do you only seem to have an issue when doing a cold boot? If you only have issues when booting, that might indicate a motherboard problem.

Correct. Once I get it up and running, it is fine. I have a 99.9999999999999999999999% success rate when rebooting too.

Motherboard huh, hmm..

I have taken my OS HDD, RAM stick and Video Card to my dads system, where it boots fine, with no problems at all. Put it back, same thing happens. Does this possibly narrow down the issue?

I have taken my OS HDD, RAM stick and Video Card to my dads system, where it boots fine, with no problems at all. Put it back, same thing happens. Does this possibly narrow down the issue?

that OCZ psu is a decent unit, unless you switched the motherboard to your dad's system as well it's still down to the psu or motherboard, my guess would be motherboard, a 500w psu would be able to run your system, I really doubt it's the psu, have you tried different RAM...? motherboard can be kind of picky when it comes to RAM, I would stick in some lower voltage RAM (from your dad's system...?) and see if you still have the issues or try a friend's AM2 motherboard just for testing purposes...? the easiest way to check if it's the psu is to take your father's psu (or any 450w-500w psu) and plug it into your system...

I'm gonna have to agree that its a faulty mobo. You definitely dont need a 1000W PSU for that build.

Back
Top Bottom