PSU flash bang

Kage

Golden Master
Hey all,

Just recovered from a very bad ordeal with my computer (sort of).

My Power supply, only about 2 years old (Antec Truepower 550watt) decided to give out yesterday morning, with a flash bang.
Just turned the plugs on to activate what would usually be standby mode before you would turn the PC on, and it happened.

I went to Microdirect today and picked up a new 650watt power supply by Corsair.

Its up, and hard drives are fine (which is what I was worrying about the most, as I don't have a backup for this RAID 1),

BUT, my PCI cards do not work.

My sound card isn't working, and neither is my network card :(

I'm using the built in motherboard network port at the moment which I've never used!

So I'm not sure wheather the PCI has given up ghost (everything else is fine, or seems to be), or the 2 cards have gone together due to the power supply going :(

I may have to turn on the onboard sound :'(

Hey all,

Just recovered from a very bad ordeal with my computer (sort of).

My Power supply, only about 2 years old (Antec Truepower 550watt) decided to give out yesterday morning, with a flash bang.
Just turned the plugs on to activate what would usually be standby mode before you would turn the PC on, and it happened.

I went to Microdirect today and picked up a new 650watt power supply by Corsair.

Its up, and hard drives are fine (which is what I was worrying about the most, as I don't have a backup for this RAID 1),

BUT, my PCI cards do not work.

My sound card isn't working, and neither is my network card :(

I'm using the built in motherboard network port at the moment which I've never used!

So I'm not sure wheather the PCI has given up ghost (everything else is fine, or seems to be), or the 2 cards have gone together due to the power supply going :(

I may have to turn on the onboard sound :'(

have you tried any PCI cards in those slots that weren't in the computer when the big bang happened...? or have you tried those cards in other computers...?

All is working now...

I turned the PC off, and decided to push the cards in again (It would also seem the X-FI card needed external power to actually get sound, as I had to shut off again to test it). It would seem my motherboard is slightly bent inwards, so the cards needed a push to the right to give them power, haha...
So nothing was damaged, so I guess the PSU worked well, not killing anything else.

I've got a 650 watt now, so I have 100 more watts to play with, for when I get a new graphics card, etc.

That's the thing that scares me the most. A power supply that dies may not go down alone.

Back
Top Bottom