Processor Not working

matthewray

Beta member
I have this 3.2pent4 processor that i was useing on a soyo board. Everything was working fine. My friend needed me to fix his computer and his has a Pent 4 1.6 in it. His motherboard was bad, so i took out my board, put his stuff in it, worked fine. However, i have 2 of these boards and when i put the rest of my stuff in the other one, it will turn on but wont boot anything. I also tried multiple processors on this board and doesnt boot. But the other board that is running, and was running my processor wont run it anymore. IM wondering if something might have shorted out my processor. i have a gigabyte board coming in the next two days and ive done everything i can think of to see whats wrong. all my ram is fine, video card, harddrive all work fine. Ive reseted the cmos, change jumper settings for bus speed, and still wont boot. Is there something im missing. any help would be great.

so your cpu wont run on both boards or only one board? Im assuming that is a S478, not LGA 775.

yes, my cpu is not working on either board now. I had been running it with no problems before i took it out of the motherboard. I had put it in a different board that is exactly the same as the board i put in my friends. It booted up, i went to bios then it froze. I havent gotten it to boot anything since. I put the processor in, fans turn, but doesnt boot and even the cdrom lights don't to come on. Ive tried mulitple psu's and i dont beleive they are the reason. Im running my friends computer now, which has all of the things that were in mine except for the cpu. Im starting to beleive that somewhere the chip might have gotten damaged. I really cant think of anything else to do besides wait for my new board to come in. and yes, it is a socket 478 on the p4vgm1.0 soyo board.

remote posibility, your board might have lost certain bios upgrade or something? are you running prescott? some boards need bios upgrade to use prescott CPUs

yeah i know that, but the problem is, i just had it in the board running fine. I took it out, put it back in and now it wont work. and there isnt a updated bios for this board. I guess ill fine out when i stick it in the giga board that is on its way. thank newegg

so first u took out the CPU and put it in ur other mobo, then u put the cpu back in the original mobo and now it wont work? have u tried other cpu jus to be sure its not the mobo's problem?

You can not interchange Willimette and Northwood/Prescott cpus. If the board is designed around a northwood or a prescott then dropping in a willimette will damage the cpu chip. Get where I'm going here They all may be 478's but the difference in the designs can lead to trouble.

unless the board supports Willimette, Northwoods and Prescotts :D then you are fine.

yes the board supports all three, and yes i took the cpu out, then put it back in after having already running another cpu in it and my cpu wont work. And yes no bent pins. I just cant see how its been running fine and then just die like that.

Back
Top Bottom