probs with new comp

jdtms11

Beta member
Ok so me and my buddy just finished putting my new comp together today i put my XP CD in and it started up and all, i got to the screen where you have to hit F8 to agree to the terms i hit F8 and nothing would happen so i decided to exit out of the setup and have it re start so that it may work the second time around. now what happens is a screen for my motherboard comes up and give me the option to hit 'del' and goto the bios or hit tab to go to something else, if i don't get it quick enough it goes to a blank black screen with a flashing underscore cursor, and even if i open the cd drive and then put the disk for XP back in the CD drive doesn't seem to load it up and it just sits on the blank screen. anyone have any ideas.

to get to me quicker my AIM is jdtms07

honestly mate sounds like your xp cd is duff that blinking white cursor sounds like your computer cant detect a bootable cd

its a brand new disc and it had been working b4 i had to exit out and try again

i also just tried putting the CD for the graphics card in and it wont even load that up, it also just goes to that screen w/ out any CD at all

well your graphics cd wont load coz its not bootable.

well hear would be my checklist to solve the problem.

check / try new RAM i bough very cheap RAM once for a new build and it froze the xp installation because windows couldnt find a certain address in the RAM so i bouhgt a better named brand and it worked fine.

try a new xp disk if you can.

try a difference CD/DVD drive again if you can

Its actually simple you probally just missed the press any key to boot. Not sure if you motherboard has just a quick splash screen then starts loading or if you have to hit a key to get past your bios splash screen.

Your easiest option is to find out what button brings up your boot devices at the bios splash screen. Mine is escape. That will bring you to a menu that has all your cd/dvd drives hd's etc. Just go down to the disc drive you have the XP disc in and hit enter. Watch the screen after a few seconds it should say hit any key to boot from cd. Hit anykey and begin setup.

I've had the f8 problem myself sometimes it doesn't load a ps2 keyboard correctly and it won't reconize the f8 key. I had to borrow a keyboard one time for a install. Just depends if its in the mood to work or not.

Back
Top Bottom