Problems with my USB ports

Soccrdude

Beta member
I've been having problems with my USB ports ever since I installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Somehow it will recognize my iPod and my portable memory device, both of which were installed and recognized before SP2. But now it will not recognize my new camera or my new printer on any of my 6 USB ports. I've tried updating the drivers and also reinstalling the software for all of them but nothing seems to work. If anyone knows the answer to my problems please let me know. Thanks.

Hey, first of all Welcome.

I'm afraid that with Service Pack 2, alot of patches had to be made for programs, and new drivers released to get them to work on the newly updated machines. This caused alot of problems for people...more than others.
So though some had no worries what so ever, others had there systems crashing, and programs falling all over the place.

Therefore, I think this is also the issue with your USB drivers.

I would uninstall them, and go about searching for USB 2.0 drivers which will work under Service Pack 2. All will that have been released in the last year so your bound to find one.

I hope this helps

It must be the usb ports becuase when i installed my windows xp, sp2 was the first thing i put on here, after the antivirus.

when you plug either your new printer or camera in and turn them on, does your computer make the ding-dong sound that it's supposed to when you plug in a usb device?

When I plug either of them into the computer, even though the software is loaded, there is no ding-dong that says that the computer recognized them. It does do the ding-dong noise for my iPod and my memory device though.

Its not the ports, its your usb drivers for the usb devices. Uninstall all your usb devices and any applications associated with them through device manager and/or add/remove programs. After that, restart and plug them all in. XP should recognize them; you shouldnt need the extra software except for the ipod.

Back
Top Bottom