problem with upgrading RAM

JonD25

Beta member
I'm new to the forum, so I hope this is a good place to put this thread...

I just bought a 256 MB module of RAM for my Dell Latitude D600 laptop to up it to a total of 512 MB (the other module that came with it was 256 MB, I'm just putting another 256 in the second slot). I followed all the directions for installing it in to the second slot, but when I start up my computer, I get an error that reads:

"Memory write/read failure at 1FFE001C, read FE11BE11 expecting FE11FE11
Memory address line failure at 1FFE0000, read FE11FE11 expecting 01010101
Decreasing available memory
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

So when I press F1, obviously I still only have 256 MB working, but when I open a program I have called CPUZ that lets me look at a bunch of different info on the computer's hardware, it says I have 512 MB of RAM and recognizes there being two slots with 256 MB each. But when I look at my System Properties, it still says 256 MB, so the second slot still doesn't seem to function. Any idea where I'm having the problem and how to fix it? I hope it's not something stupid, because I thought I followed all the directions exactly. It's not like this is a hard procedure.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I bought the RAM from crucial.com and it's gauranteed to be compatible with my laptop. All the specs are the same as the first module except that they're both made by different manufacturers.

Your problem is the Dell. Never use Dell...

Sounds like you have bad RAM too... But knowing how Dells are, it would be a bad DIMM or a defective bios. Possibly a bad motherboard.

Try sticking only the new stick of RAM in the PC and see what happens. If you get the same error, try putting the stick in another slot. If you still get that error, then the RAM is bad.

If you don't get an error after leaving the new RAM in your computer, then it's the bios or the motherboard.

If you put the new stick of RAM in another slot and you don't see the error, then the DIMM slot could be bad.

Just do yourself a favor and build your next PC. Stay far away from Dells.

Quinton McLeod said:

Your problem is the Dell. Never use Dell...

Sounds like you have bad RAM too... But knowing how Dells are, it would be a bad DIMM or a defective bios. Possibly a bad motherboard.

Try sticking only the new stick of RAM in the PC and see what happens. If you get the same error, try putting the stick in another slot. If you still get that error, then the RAM is bad.

If you don't get an error after leaving the new RAM in your computer, then it's the bios or the motherboard.

If you put the new stick of RAM in another slot and you don't see the error, then the DIMM slot could be bad.

Just do yourself a favor and build your next PC. Stay far away from Dells.
Ok thanks. I'll try that.

As for the Dell, yeah I got it before I knew much about computers and such. It was kinda just a I-need-a-laptop-for-college-here's-what-the-school-recommends kinda thing. Also, I got a killer warranty on the thing..... which I technically broke by putting this new RAM in. But I figured there's no real way for them to know unless putting in the RAM screwed up my entire computer. Any ways, I'll try to figure this out and come back later for advice when I discover the source of the problem.

I just did what you said. First I took out the ram from slot 1. Wouldn't even boot up. Then I took the ram from slot 2 and put it in slot 1 and it worked fine. So it seems it's one of those things you meantioned.... all of which sound scary and possibly expensive. Now, my warranty would cover it, I'm sure. But how would I go about getting it fixed without letting them know I voided the warranty by installing other RAM myself? I suppose if it's not possible, I can live with 256 MB till the warranty runs out just in case something else serious happens, and then somehow get whatever problem fixed. But I would preferrably like to be able to use this RAM now, and it not cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed.

Dont send in the laptop with the extra stick in it. :D It seems like you have a dud SODIMM.

ownage said:
Dont send in the laptop with the extra stick in it. :D It seems like you have a dud SODIMM.

Well, you'll never guess, but I just got it working.

A friend of mine walked in the door, and he has some computer knowledge (maybe not as much as you guys, but more than me). He analyzes the situation a little, we talk about it, and then he says, "Have you tried putting the old RAM in the second slot to see if it would work?" Well that seemed like a dumb idea that would obviously not work. Why would switching the RAM modules suddenly work?

Well.... it did. Beats me why, but I'm just thankful I don't have to worry about having to get anything fixed. Thanks for all the help though.

Back
Top Bottom