Problem with transfering files to desktop

rowcon123

Daemon Poster
Hi guys I just downloaded a file for a game but every time I drag it to the desktop it takes like 1 hour for 200mb and it's going like 3.5 MBps it used to go something like 60 odd I carnt remember but it does it with my external hdd too can you help me ??

Those speeds sound pretty typical of transfer over USB. Is the file coming from an external hard drive?

If you downloaded this file only for a downloader of this game?If so,you have to download files once open it.

No I have downloaded it from the Internet and copying it to my my desktop I'm just saying it takes the same time to do it to an external hdd as well witch in find strange and yes I'm useing 2.0

That's a little odd. Your transfer speed is slower than usual (by more than a factor of 100).

Sure you got enough power for the external HDD?

Yes I'm sure I found this a little odd when about a week ago I was transfering like 2gb to the desktop and it was going to take like 4-5 hours ??

Not from an external hdd

Ideal transfer speed for USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps (i.e., 60 MB/s). So for a 2 GB file to transfer, 2 × 1024 / 60 = 34.13 -- it should take about 34 s. Given the world is far from ideal, it'll probably take closer to 43 s.

So 4-5 h of transfer time is again very, very odd.

Check the specifications of your external HDD. Does it draw more than 5 A of current?

Ideal transfer speed for USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps (i.e., 60 MB/s). So for a 2 GB file to transfer, 2 × 1024 / 60 = 34.13 -- it should take about 34 s. Given the world is far from ideal, it'll probably take closer to 43 s.

So 4-5 h of transfer time is again very, very odd.

Check the specifications of your external HDD. Does it draw more than 5 A of current?

That doesn't account for things like protocol overhead. The 480Mbps is a best case scenario.

12MB/s is more realistic.

Mmm, I am at work, but I remember mine tend to be over 40 MB/s. Maybe I have to try on much larger files (or even revalidate my memory! :D).

Back
Top Bottom