Problem switching on

Brookfield

Golden Master
Can you help please, for the last three mornings I've pushed the button on the case, as Ialways do, & it dies, it's done this in the past occasionly, then, I would press it again straight away, & it was OK, now, I have to go away for ten minutes, brush my teeth etc, try again & it works. :confused: the room is at a constant even temperature, not too hot/cold, no dampness, & my desktop is in the same place as it's always been.

strange! the wires havent worked their way loose have they from the motherboard, the power switch cable i mean? possible its causing an intermittent connection. Its also possible the psu has just given up the ghost. Is the psu big enough for your power requirements? Theres nothing obstructing the power switch being pushed down properly like dust/dirt? wish i could offer better advice! :)

ps itd be interesting to try another psu if u have access to one, see what happens.

My immediate attention would suspect the power supply. How long have you had the PC for? Or for that matter, how long have you had the power supply?

Yea, It could possibly be the power supply. I dont think they are much to buy? Or just lend one to rule out if this is the problem. :D

Brookfield said:
Can you help please, for the last three mornings I've pushed the button on the case, as Ialways do, & it dies, it's done this in the past occasionly, then, I would press it again straight away, & it was OK, now, I have to go away for ten minutes, brush my teeth etc, try again & it works. :confused: the room is at a constant even temperature, not too hot/cold, no dampness, & my desktop is in the same place as it's always been.

Your specs etc might help sort the problem, im leaning towards PSU aswell tho, or something simple like a loose connection somewhere

TRDCorolla said:
My immediate attention would suspect the power supply. How long have you had the PC for? Or for that matter, how long have you had the power supply?
Eighteen months, both.

Raffaz said:
Your specs etc might help sort the problem, im leaning towards PSU aswell tho, or something simple like a loose connection somewhere
I'm beginning to think it's a loose connection to the power switch, strangely though, it happens only when I first switch on, I switch on 3 or 4 times during the day, no problem.

Anubis1980 said:
strange! the wires havent worked their way loose have they from the motherboard, the power switch cable i mean? possible its causing an intermittent connection. Its also possible the psu has just given up the ghost. Is the psu big enough for your power requirements? Theres nothing obstructing the power switch being pushed down properly like dust/dirt? wish i could offer better advice! :)

ps itd be interesting to try another psu if u have access to one, see what happens.
Thanks, I'm inclining toward a loose connection to the power switch, but why it only happens at first switch on, I don't know, the desktop is ony 18 months old, so I don't think it's wear & tear, although I do boot up 3 - 4 times a day, 365 a year, as to power requirements, single fan, printer, scanner, standard speakers, & I don't d/load music at all, the power switch is free from obstruction, offer better advice? youve given me plenty of ideas!

Brookfield said:
I'm beginning to think it's a loose connection to the power switch, strangely though, it happens only when I first switch on, I switch on 3 or 4 times during the day, no problem.

Have you got access to a multimeter to test it? I would open it up and unplug and reseat everything, then ya can rule the loose connection out. Also what size PSU have you got?And are ya running any extra devices off it now compared to when ya got it. Such as USB stuff etc, coz they will all put a strain on ya PSU.

Raffaz said:
Have you got access to a multimeter to test it? I would open it up and unplug and reseat everything, then ya can rule the loose connection out.
I haven't enough confidence to get into the case, & as I can't lift heavy objects, it would have to be taken away, so it may come to that.

Back
Top Bottom