Problem with new cable network...

rat_boy_100

In Runtime
Hi, i've currently got 2 comps in my house. One has the internet, and the other one runs off a wireless (ad-hoc/peer-to-peer) 11mbps network so it could also have the internet. This week i decided to scrap the wireless, and i ordered 15m of 'cat5e booted utp patch cable' along with a 100mbps pci ethernet adaptor. The other comp has an integrated lan port so i didn't need to buy 2 of them. I got them both installed, and they are displayed in 'network connections' on each computer, but they both have a red x on the icon, and underneathe it says 'network cable is unplugged' even when i have plugged them in. I have tried everything, unplugging and plugging them in, re instaling them, downloading drivers from net, but no matter what i've tried, the red x just stays there. Its so annoying! I've spent money on this stuff n i intend to use it! I hope somebody can help me...Thanks!

well i know that! but i need to know why! its only a simple network, a cable forom 1 comp to the other comp can hardly create loads of technical probs could it?

check that both network cards are plugged in properly and make sure they are installed then run the microsofts own network wizard and if the corrct hardware is not installed it will tell you.

how do i get this 'microsofts facility'...all that happens when i double click me cable network, is the properties window comes up...

Ah ha. Spoke to that woman you gave me the name of, and she helped me immediately! Turns out i've bought normal Cat5e cable, when i need Cat5e crossover cable! Feel free to lock this post :)

Back
Top Bottom