Problem With My CD-Rom

Automator

Beta member
I looked for a similar topic, both in this forum and on the internet in general, but to no avail.

My CD-ROM drive can no longer install programs. It reads CDs just fine, and it can burn CDs with no trouble, but for some reason anytime I want to install from a CD, there is never a "Setup" or any ".exe" file to run. Like I said, I looked all over for people with similar problems, but I couldn't find anything. It's really strange. It worked fine when I first got the computer (Dell Inspiron 1501 running Windows XP), but now there's no way to install from a CD. It used to auto-install programs when I would put in the CD, but now it pops up the little box with the option to import photos or view the files or play something on Windows Media Player, but no option to install the freaking program.

Thanks in advance.

First thing: Is it possible that some of the cds you are using don't even have the autorun function? I just want to make sure that we can rule out that portion of the problem. Say, you're inserting a program disc into the drive (ex. Microsoft Word) and all you are getting is the little box with options on it.

If that isn't the case, then we can check a few other things. Are you using XP or Vista? After knowing that, I can walk you through and check to see if "Autorun" is enabled for your computer.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom