Problem, I think Index.dat

johnsonb125

Baseband Member
How do I delete Index.dat file without paying for a program. Are there any FREE programs that delete it because I think it is screwing up my comp pretty bad. How I don't know. Here is the problem...Every once in a while I'll get the click sound of a webpage being opened. If I click on the webpage it highlights text from a certain point. If I click above that point it will highlight from where I clicked to that certain point. Also if I try to use the scroll wheel on my mouse it navigates webpages meaning it goes back and foward depending on which way I scroll. This doesn't really hurt my computer its just very very very annoying to me. I've tried running Ad-aware and Spybot S & D. Neither of those did it for me. It is really annoying me so any feedback on how to get rid of this problem would be much appreciated. If you've had the problem and gotten rid of it that would be even better but if you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

johnsonb125 said:
How do I delete Index.dat file without paying for a program. Are there any FREE programs that delete it because I think it is screwing up my comp pretty bad. How I don't know. Here is the problem...Every once in a while I'll get the click sound of a webpage being opened. If I click on the webpage it highlights text from a certain point. If I click above that point it will highlight from where I clicked to that certain point. Also if I try to use the scroll wheel on my mouse it navigates webpages meaning it goes back and foward depending on which way I scroll. This doesn't really hurt my computer its just very very very annoying to me. I've tried running Ad-aware and Spybot S & D. Neither of those did it for me. It is really annoying me so any feedback on how to get rid of this problem would be much appreciated.
If you've had the problem and gotten rid of it that would be even better but if you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks.
======
You gotta be kidding,how did you let the internet screw you up like this ?
Go to Tools/internet options/Temp inet file and delete for a start.
Then select "everytime i close my browser"
By the way what is "the click sound of a webpage" ?
Read the mouse directions,mine works fine for vertical,forget Horizontal ,this is for current page not browesing to another..Otherwise use the kbd arrows.
Ad-Aware is great.Are You useing it right. ?

Almost forgot.Go to Start menu select Find,files.
Type in index.dat
when and if it shows up,hilite it(single click) and press the Delete Key on your keyboard.
;)

Sorry I can't really describe what the click sound of a webpage is when you open it. It does it when you click on a link or something like that. And I know its not the mouse because it works normally most of the time. Also if you search Index.dat and delete it won't let you. Believe me I've tried multiple times. I also use a combination of Ad-Aware, Spybot S & D, and a fairly unknown program called System Mechanic. Any suggestions.

PS sorry about the lacking of details.

You can't delete it cause its running. You must stop its service first.
DL this, its called Security Task Manager, it will find that service for you and delete it.
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/

even the trial ver.
*edit*

uhg, I can't even test my link!!! IE is #@!# up.

johnsonb125 said:
Sorry I can't really describe what the click sound of a webpage is when you open it. It does it when you click on a link or something like that. And I know its not the mouse because it works normally most of the time. Also if you search Index.dat and delete it won't let you. Believe me I've tried multiple times. I also use a combination of Ad-Aware, Spybot S & D, and a fairly unknown program called System Mechanic. Any suggestions.

PS sorry about the lacking of details.
Go to Control Panel Add/Remove,remove anything you don't understand or installed.What does it reply when you say delete ?
It probably means it's a running task right?
Remove the task.

Back
Top Bottom