Printing on the desktop printer from a laptop

chris8105

Solid State Member
I have a laptop computer with a wireless router. Can anyone tell me how I can print from the laptop to the printer thats hooked up to the desktop computer. I think I read somewhere that I have to go into settings and make it so the printer is shared. Basically I have no idea, can someone explain this to me like I am an idiot.
Thanks

Raffaz said:
You can do that, assuming you already have your desktop and laptop networked together.

A point worth mentioning, for you to print, the pc that the printer is attached to must be on. However, if you'd like to have it so the printer is seperate on the network, you can get a wireless print server, that way you can put the printer anywhere and print on it from either computer.

But, to just share the printer is the simplest way and thats what I'd reccomend.

OK after all I dont have the two computers networked together. All I have going right now is the wireless internet to the comp. Any help please to network them together.

what i use is called a print server and you attach it to your router and the printer is visible on any computer in the network. PM me if you want more info and a place to get one.

john123 said:
you dont need one.
well unless you keep a computer running and have it appear as shared you could do that, but i just use a little box that runs off a like 3v adapter called a print server.

Back
Top Bottom