possilble video card failure

flako

Beta member
Hi, I recently got a new video card from my older computer that was in my garage...because my new one overheated and most likly fried so its useless....well ...when im using this new(old) video card i can be on it for about....20 mins and then... i get a windows error saying...

Windows system error
Microsoft has detected and recovered from a device failure

and then the video card goes out of wack.....the colors and the resolution is all screwed up...the videocard is already set on my computer and i dont know why its messing up...could it have to do with the mother board...Possible damage from the last video card?

when i reboot my computer...its all back to normal...and then it happends again......this has only happened 3 times so far...so i dont know....any help?

are you using the right drivers? this sounds like a bad or wrong driver issue. what kind of vid card is it?

ACES WILD said:
are you using the right drivers? this sounds like a bad or wrong driver issue. what kind of vid card is it?

its a s3 graphics inc. Savage4

uhm....maybe try downloading drivers from old computer that you got vid card from (if possible). If that dosen't work, maybe try making sure that everything is connected properly (hey it happened to me).

get the updated drivers from the manufacturers website if you can. what version of windows are you using?

Yeah try drivers, but it could also be the graphics card failing since it is old (though this probably isn't the issue).

It could be the same you see as ATI cards where if it fails, it starts an auto recovery which would bring up that message, and might cause some issues like that if it didn't recover exactly well... so yeah, again, could be drivers like people have already mentioned.

The motherboard i doubt would have been damaged by the way when the newer burned out card though, so dont worry. I doubt it died in the way of smoke and melting on the motherboard, etc, hehe.

Could the card by any chance be booting to vga drivers used in windows safe mode when the error comes up?
(If this is the case, you probably dont have Windows XP since I'd guess th resolution and colours would be more than 16 like what happens in older windows in vga mode)

So go into your display properties by right clicking and going to Properties followed by the Settings tab and check when it crashes that it is still saying the card a default monitor and not default drivers for example

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom