Please help-probably easy fix-if you even click and look i love you

mrdrumdepum

Solid State Member
i know a little bit about computers, but im no master. I realized that behind the rubber "do not remove" cap on hte back of my computer had another monitor input. so i went in my basement and got an old monitor and plugged it in. everywhere i look says setting it up is so easy. just go into display settings and click extend my desktop onto secondary monitor. i do that, and click apply or ok, and my screen goes black for a few seconds, and then comes back on, with the display attached box unclicked and the extend desktop box un clicked.

what i THINK happened has to do with the location of the port. i went into the settings for the first monitor, and looked at the location. it says PCI slot 11.
then i looked at the same thing for the 2nd monitor and it says its PCI slot 11. eventhough i have 2 ports, its trying to send both signals to my main monitor (i think??!?) how do i make it so the secondary monitor uses the other monitor input?

thanks for trying to help, im so aggravated. if you want to send me an IM and explain to me there, its MrDrumdepum on aim. thanks so much =]

the 2nd port you 'found' is most likely the onboard gfx card, and your main port is your add on card. You can not use an addon AND a integrated at the same time.

first of all thanks for replying. that link you sent me is what i first used to figure this out, getting me no where, but thanks anyways.

and the second reply, whats the point of the add on port? why have 2 ports available when you can only use one? im confused.

i could take a horrible quality pic on my phone but i dont think itll help. all youll see is 2 monitors plugged into the back of my pc. im soo aggravated gah.

whats the point of the add on port? why have 2 ports available when you can only use one? im confused.

I'm not sure about how your computer is set up, but what may have happened is that you bought a base package and selected a graphics upgrade. The company put a cap over the old port, to avoid confusion ofcourse. Also you can NOT run the standard on-board graphics at the same time as agp/pci-e

Again, could you post a PIC of the back of your computer, a cellphone is fine, It would help us solve your issue more easily.

:(

oh i get what you mean juice. so if i were to get another port whats the least that it would cost me? like jsut the simplest most basic port.

Well, it really depends on what you have on your desk (or floor.) Would you happen to have a little info on your computer (brand, model no. et cetera?)

Also could you go into display properties (right click your desktop) and find where it says plug and play monitor on... what does it say on your computer? That should tell me what card you have in your computer.

Back
Top Bottom