Please Help! new computer build wont detect HDD or boot from CD

DontlaughImNew

Solid State Member
OK so i have recently built my own pc from the ground up every single part is brand new, and here is my problem...

When i start it up and view the POST it tells me that no hard disk is detected then asks to insert boot device and press any key, this is when i have a Windows xp CD in my cd drive but when i press something is just repeats the message over again

But the thing i don't get is that when i look in bios it has my hardrive and dvd drive in SATA 1 and 2, i have tryed them in different orders in the boot device priority but nothing seems to make any difference.

Please Help! i dont know what to do anymore ive looked at other posts but no one seems to have this problem with a completly new computer, the hardrive has never been used or formatted before so i dont know why i cant boot from it or even format from windows because i cant even get that to boot from a cd.

Specs are in sig but the dvd drive im using is a LG GH20 lightscribe and the hardrive is a Western Digital CAVIAR SE16 640GB.

You may just have a DOA hard drive. Try it in a different computer. Your motherboard just may have bad Serial ATA ports.

Oh, I misread your post. I'm not sure. I'm having the same problems as well. Except the hard drive works, doesn't show up in the BIOS and works in other computers.

Hmm. . .
Set the DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS. Insert the XP CD into the drive and reboot. After the post screen, you should see a prompt telling you to press any key to boot to CD. You should then be able to format and partition the drive an install the OS.

Hmm. . .
Set the DVD drive as the first boot device in the BIOS. Insert the XP CD into the drive and reboot. After the post screen, you should see a prompt telling you to press any key to boot to CD. You should then be able to format and partition the drive an install the OS.

This is one ive the things im confused about what does it mean when it just repeats the message No boot device detected reboot or insert boot device and press any key to continue... i press keys and the cd drive starts spinning but it just repeats that message every time i press a key

So does that mean the CD drive is faulty? because it should start up either with a hardrive or with wouldn't it? also I'm sure the drive is working as ive flashed the bios with the DVD my motherboard came with, and the windows xp CD isn't unreadable as my mac can see all the files that pop up.

Is the XP CD an original disc or is it a copy? Check to make sure that there are no scratches or smudges on the disc.

Also the hardrive gets warm but i cant really tell if its spinning or not so i dont think its dead mainly for the fact bios detects it... but the POST doesnt

Ive tryed the original and a burnt copy of it and neither work, the disc isnt in perfect condition but my mac laptop seems to detect all the files and also i went into EZflash bios with the windows xp CD and all of its files showed up there aswell so i dont think the disc is the problem either...

are all your drives (CD drive, hard drives, etc.) SATA...? you may need to install the SATA drivers for your motherboard first from floppy or IDE, it's a new build correct...?

You don't need to for that board. I used to have it. You can't install drivers, if there isn't a hard drive to install it to. Can you try using that HDD in another computer?

Back
Top Bottom