Please Advise ... What To Do ...

jandgmom

Beta member
If anybody can help, I would greatly appreciate it. My problems began when I received a magazine subscription which I did not sign up for, and the email address that was joined up under was not mine. I quickly cancelled that magazine subscription and asked how I was signed up. She said an online form.

Then, I receive my phone bill and have enhanced services on which is a voicemail/long distance service placed on there. I also had an email service placed on there as well. When they sent the email that they sent the confirmation to, it was again this particular email that I've never heard of. So, that total was about $40.00 that had to be removed from my bill.

They sent me the IP address of the computer that signed me up for this stuff... I was able to locate it online with the long/lat lines and general vicinity as well as the internet provider...Of course, it is not my computer IP address.

My question is...what do I with this information? Will it help track down who is doing this to me? They somehow get all of my personal information, name, address, etc...and then use this fake email, and I'm getting charged. How do I stop this?

Please help! :mad:

Email pcworld mag with your problem. They have some awesome support when it comes to this kind of stuff. In the meantime, tighten the security on your computer. Make sure that you change every password, especially your admin login. Scan for malware, viruses, and such so that you can clean off the trash that they are using to breach your system. After you are sure that it is clean, do a full backup. Good luck!!

Thank you for your responses. So much has been done today. Contacted FTC, banks, credit card companies and so forth...as well as filed a police report. This is so unsettling. Somebody can enter your name and address and sign you up for things that you do not want...and you don't know it until you get your phone bill for example. It makes you hesitant to use the internet. It's scary. I also was able to track down the IP address that was used with the faudulent activity, but I guess it's still too vague of information. The police told me this is extremely prevelent. Thank you all again for your suggestions...I hope this doesn't happen to any of you... :(

Thank you for your responses. So much has been done today. Contacted FTC, banks, credit card companies and so forth...as well as filed a police report. This is so unsettling. Somebody can enter your name and address and sign you up for things that you do not want...and you don't know it until you get your phone bill for example. It makes you hesitant to use the internet. It's scary. I also was able to track down the IP address that was used with the faudulent activity, but I guess it's still too vague of information. The police told me this is extremely prevelent. Thank you all again for your suggestions...I hope this doesn't happen to any of you... :(

Well hopefully the guy will try something else and will get caught.

You would be surprised what someone can do on the internet with very little information on you.

Lol well... actually.. You are surprised..

Back
Top Bottom