Physics chip

Kage

Golden Master
I was reading Custom PC and turns out a company is producing a Physics chip to be used in Graphics chips. I knew the name and company, but have misplaced it in my mind. Something like PhyZ is the chip name

This will take the load off the PC so they can have much more effects in games. Bigger explosions, more ragdoll effects, realistic moving hair, basically everything you can think that would use physics.

They say that if you though Half life 2 was good in the physics department. This will look cheap compared to the new physics system since it'll be finite in what it can produce.

They are developing a system for X-BOX 2, that will use this kind of hardware,and will be on PC graphics cards.

Though they think that the programming language to use the chip might make games harder to manufacture, and will take more time to produce. Though they could make more realistic games which helps with a great physics system.
No point having a great graphical game if things fall through the floor, objects don't fall, react realistically. But with this new chip, it seems games of the future could act as good as they look!

Anyone heard any more news on it?
What do you think?

What you are thinking of of AGEIA's PPU chip (http://www.ageia.com/). PhysX. It's a very interesting piece of hardware, but last time I checked it was just rumor that the X-Box 2 would have it, although the X-Box 2 is going to be a piece of crap anyway.

What the chip would do is help take some of the load from the processor, because as it stands, some of the newer games seem to be giving the CPU more trouble. I read about this a long time ago, but it's still interesting. I want to see it in action.

Yeah thats the one. I just forgot the name as I didn't have the mag with me to check.

It does look rather promising though, especially if it will do what they say.

As for saying the X-Box 2 will be crap, this isn't a true statement as you dont know what it has/what games will be available which is what matters. Even though I didn't buy a x-box, I still have to congratulate them for competing well in the already competitive market. The gamecube to me seems to have been the one thats suffered a blow in the console world, as I have one. i definetly think it was a mistake buying it, and would have rather gone for the x-box in truth since the gamecube has had no games for a while which I've wanted... Horrible burnout 3 not coming out on it for instance... :( and wheres a dancemat game??? hehe. No flaming or anything.
I just wanted to mention that, though I'm not exactly a Bill Gates fan or hater either, though I have his operating system installed. And though some people hate him, you still have to wonder how hes done it all, and so I bet even the haters question themselves sometime.

I'm all up for Microsoft being givena chance, as well as the Playstation 3, and the new Gamecube system, and possibly rumours of a Sega system... (Though I don't see how i can trust them again with too many failed units not competing, and after a few years dissapearing, though good in there own ways)

Sorry..back to topic,
I think the chip should definetly be given a chance

by the way, thanks for the link :)

Back
Top Bottom