Phenom 2 x4 3.4Ghz good for gaming?

CBJ023

Baseband Member
Hi, so originally I wanted to build a budget PC but I'm kind of past that now. I want a PC that will run most games on max settings or near max settings. Like BF3 I want to run at 1980x1080p on near max or max settings. Also Dayz. So I'm wondering if the Phenom 2 x4 would be able to do this. I'm planning on 6gb RAM, a Radeon 7850 (Also what do you guys think of the Radeon 7850? I'm getting the XFX version for $180 and it comes with tomb raider and bioshock inf) I'm also planning on a 500W power supply, a ASUS F1A55-M LX PLUS R2.0 motherboard and a 500gb WD hard drive. Also If anyone has any links to a cheap case under $60 I could use one my current one is pretty small

That board positively will not work with a Phenom 2 x4.

To answer your question, the PII X4 is still a viable chip.

The phenom 2 965 will work for you, just not on that board. The phenom is an AM3 chip, and the board is an FM1/2 board. I would sudgest getting an asus or gigabyte 880/890 based am3 board.

You could even get an AM3+ board and the AM3 chip will work in there as well as providing you with an upgrade path.

Ok thanks didn't realize it didn't support AM3+ Are there any better processors I could get under $150? I could easily switch to a intel system I have teh parts I would buy for both I just decided on AMD because I figured the Phenom II x4 was better than an old i3-560

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Would this motherboard work? Also is gigabyte a good motherboard manufacturer? Gigabyte - Ultra Durable 4 Classic Desktop Motherboard - AMD 760G Chipset - Socket AM3+ - GA-78LMT-USB3

Back
Top Bottom