Pentium 4 and pentium d

Rogued

Baseband Member
Hey, i am thinking of getting new processor. I have a pentium 4 3.0 gz. I am think of getting a pentium d 3.2 gz. Cause dont have money as yet for the core 2 due. But how is the pentium d ? And is the performance alot better that the pentium 4?thanks

What CPU Socket will you be using on your motherboard? Is it an LGA 775?

Also, be more specific on the model of the processors you're pertaining to, as there is a wide spectrum of Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds.

If you are using a 775 socket, I recommend you save an extra 80 bucks and buy a E6320 instead, it will provide a huge performance upgrade over your P4. Comparing a P4 to a PD, the Pentium D will be quite a bit faster although it probably won't be too noticeable. Then again, it really depends on what models you are referring to.

Could you provide us with your computer specs?

too noticeable?? the difference is DUAL CORE. the switch should provide much better efficiency then with your P4.

buy yeah your going to have to probably get a new mobo to get the cpu. if you do have to get a new mobo i would suggest AMD for budget dual cores :D

Not necessarily, the architecture of the Pentium D chips isn't nearly as efficient as the Core 2 Duos and wouldn't provide a major performance increase over the more recent Pentium 4s, albeit still an increase.

If you desire a vast improvement, save for a C2D.

Not necessarily, the architecture of the Pentium D chips isn't nearly as efficient as the Core 2 Duos and wouldn't provide a major performance increase over the more recent Pentium 4s, albeit still an increase.

If you desire a vast improvement, save for a C2D.

he said he wanted a Pentium D not a C2D. besides it is hard to be able to actually use all of the C2D power
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=444&model2=446&chart=171
clearly much higher than the P4
they are both the red bars. the higher the better

Even if he wanted a C2D, odds are his board wouldn't be compatible with anything outside of the E4xxx series because of the Bus speed required by the higher models.

Even the E4xxx might require a BIOS update to work. There are no guarantees about any Core 2 working with any board made before August of last year (That would be about the time the Core 2s hit the market).

Even if he wanted a C2D, odds are his board wouldn't be compatible with anything outside of the E4xxx series because of the Bus speed required by the higher models.

Even the E4xxx might require a BIOS update to work. There are no guarantees about any Core 2 working with any board made before August of last year (That would be about the time the Core 2s hit the market).

good point but what are the odds that his board is even LGA775 i think it might be socket 478 :(

he said he wanted a Pentium D not a C2D. besides it is hard to be able to actually use all of the C2D power
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=444&model2=446&chart=171
clearly much higher than the P4
they are both the red bars. the higher the better

However, comparing a P4 670 to a PD 805 yields a very little, unnoticeable difference. Ultimately it depends on the models he is looking at, which is what I was getting at.

Quoted for truth, that's a good point.

Back
Top Bottom