PC Random shutdown issue.

cb600fshornet

Fully Optimized
Right, heres the scenario.

I have a fairly small case, but with a fan at the front and back for decent airflow.

I own a GTX 280, which I've set it's fan speed to be 100 percent by the time it gets to 60 degrees celsius.

This GTX 280 requires 40A on the 12V rail of the PSU, my current one provides 38A

Now, my PC works fine on games like San Andreas, but I tried EVE, and GTA IV, and after a while my PC turns off, no error code or anything.

I turned my PC back on, loaded up EVGA Precision, and it read my GPU as 73 degrees celsius. Bear in mind that it must have had time to cool down on load-up etc.

So, what do you think the issue is, heat? Or the power supply?

My GTX 280 came factory OC'd (very little). Would Underclocking it a small amount help, or not really?

60°C is not good, but it is not going to cause random shutdowns at that temperature. I've had a couple of cards running close to 100°C for months, with no problem (not recommended).

Power could definitely be an issue.

The chips on these cards are designed to withstand heat. It is not a good environment for them to run long term, but they can do it. In any case, it is less of a problem than drawing more current than supplied.

I think theres an automatic shutoff point at 115 degrees, as thats what it hit when it used to shut down before.

I sped up the fans, put a new one in the case and I never again had the issue.

I temporarily have Underclocked my card as this'll reduce powerusage and reduce the temperature I think, but I don't want to keep it like that :3

Back
Top Bottom