PC Power problem

JEC

Solid State Member
Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm in dire need of help. I built my computer about 3 years ago, I'm not that tech savy (I can't code or anything like that) but I'm not too computer illiterate. Anyway, it's been running fine, and I've never had a problem with it, but two nights ago, I regularly shut down the computer, and went to bed, woke up the following morning only to find out that the computer was still on. The little light that flashes when the HD is being accessed was just on, not blinking, just on. I turned on my monitor to see if a program had crashed while the computer was shutting down but my monitor said that there was no signal. So I just shrugged thinking nothing of it and just went to turn off my computer by holding the power button. After about 10 seconds of holding the button and not hearing the silence that usually follows after, I was a little worried. I then went behind my computer to just flip the power switch(one on the power source), and the computer turned off. After a few seconds I flipped the switch back on....and the computer came on. Now, of all my knowledge, a computer is only supposed to turn back on only when the power button(one in front of the computer) is pushed is it not? So I flipped the off switch(on the power source) again, I even went as far as pulling out the power cord, put it back in, flipped on the power switch(on the power source), and the computer came on again. The weird thing is, the computer wasn't sending a signal to my monitor, the computer was just on, HD's spinning and the HD light that flashes when the HD is accessed, was again just on(not blinking rapidly).

So I turned it off, left it alone for a day, went to work, came back, and turned the computer back on(it just came back on after I flipped the power switch on the power source), the computer was booting up normally, everything was fine, I just went online for about half an hour and the computer just shut off, it just went dead, and from that moment will not turn back on.

Now my question is, what could the problem be? Could it be the power source? The thing is, when the power cord is plugged into the computer, a small green light on the motherboard turns on, so I'm guessing that there is some power (I'm making an extreme assumption based on a small green light), I'm sure it's not the HD's because a computer will still boot up without a HD. Any thoughts? Thanks people

just bumping hoping that someone out there can be of some assistance. I recently got a new psu, and the computer now powers up, but again, there is no image being sent to my monitor, I checked to see if the monitor had a problem but it detected my laptop's signal just fine so that rules that out. I'm not sure if its because I haven't heard my pc power up for a while but I swear I'm not hearing any of my hard drives power up (and I have 3).

I'm now thinking the culprit is the gpu, does anyone know if there are any ways that I can check whether its my mobo, cpu, or gpu?

Usually when the pc boots up, I can crtl+alt+del and it just reboots my pc, I usually hear a second of silence followed by the hard drives and fans starting back up, but when I power up the pc, I wait a while and try to crtl+alt+del, but the pc doesn't reboot (I'm only testing this because I think it's more than just my gpu, and I don't want to fry a brand new psu). Thanks peeps

There are four possible culprit that I can think of: CPU, motherboard, RAM, GPU. :p

Is the computer make a beeping sound when you start it up?

take the RAM out, then start it up - and plug your speakers in if you have any - if the motherboard beeps then most likely it isnt the fault. But, generally, if the motherboard doesnt beep when your booting up with the RAM taken out then that is where the problem lies. Also, my brothers computer did the exact same and it works now that the motherboard has been replaced.

Personally, I'd think either your CPU took a bad dump or your PSU could be the problem. A computer who doesn't turn off from the power button means that Either the PSU won't turn off due to faulty build or that it doesn't find any physical processor.

or the motherboard isnt sending the correct signal to the PSU to tell it to shut off, since a hard drive spins when the power has been turned on regardless of whether its being used.

Oh the motherboard should send signals, but did something shorted in the PSU? That's something else. And judging by now that it won't turn on, he'll probably need a new one.

nah he said he's got a new psu and the computer turns on but there is a no signal message on his monitor - thats why i reckon its his motherboard since ive had that happen to me and its happened to my brother.

Thanks guys, I actually turned on my speakers this time (I thought that if the pc motherboard would beep or anything it would just be directly out of the computer and not the speakers), when I turned my speakers on (which I swear I have done before), it screams "no CPU installed, no CPU installed".

Now this might clearly be the answer, but here in lies the mistake I made. When my pc FIRST starting having problems, me being the genius I am, took out the cpu (to see if something was wrong with it). After taking out the cpu, I didn't notice anything wrong so I tried to put it back in.....only to find out that I bent a few of the metal pins on the underside of the processor while doing so. I did the best that I could to get them back to their original shape, and I plugged the cpu back into the cpu socket (I'm not sure if all the metal pins went in their designated holes). So I'm not sure if the cpu was the start of the problems, or that my dumb ass just destroyed the cpu in the process.

but anyways, since there is something clearly wrong with my cpu, I'm going to get a new one, but something that interests me is...how does a fried cpu fry my psu? But seriously thanks guys, you've been of great help.

Back
Top Bottom