Partitions in RAID. . .

sanka

Daemon Poster
Okay, so I've got two HDs. One is 130gb and one is 300gb. I want to RAID level 1 them, but i'll lose 170gbs from the 300 if I do that. Is there a way to partition off 130gbs of the 300 for RAID, and not RAIDing the other 170?

I know thats a bit confusing but hopefully you understand. . . I'll make a diagram if not. . .

you should be able to use a program like partition magic or seomthing like that and partition off 130 then put them in RAID 1 but to be honest I dotn know how to do the RAIDing...
just search google for partitioning software, alot of it does not require it to be empty...

i should look into that hahaha

Good Luck

borat_sagdiyev said:
ummm for raid both drives have to be same size, model, and speed.

nvm your right, for raid level 1 they have to be the same.. nvm then.

raid 0 they don't though, so i'll do that probably.

edit: so. . . I can't seem to find a valid source, since lots of websites are saying different things. If you have different size drives on RAID 0, will they be to the smallest size? And if they are, can you partition the bigger one down?

well raid 0 would work. but what exactly are you trying to achieve? one large disk? or 2 disks with the same data for higher performance?

2 disks with the same data for higher performance. I don't want to lose that 170gigs from the 300, though, and thats why I want to see if I can partition it out of the RAID.

Back
Top Bottom