P45 anybody?

A True Folder

Fully Optimized
Replacement chipset for P35 on VR-Zone

The Asus P5Q P45 Eaglelake

The Intel P45 Express chipset is the 2nd 4 series chipset from Intel after the X48, poised to replace the P35, the P45 is is positioned as a mid-end chipset for both the enthusiasts and professional alike, with a series of feature refresh from its P35 predecessor.

Read more here

Hmmm... It all depends on the price. If my P5K can't get my E8400 to it's true potential and the HD 4870 turns out to be as good as it seems (CF), I might consider one.

@ ATF, BTW, I just ordered two E8400s, you were saying your E3110 needed high voltages for 4GHz, what was the VID? I'm trying to determine whether lower VID always equals lower OC potential or not on these chips.

EDIT: Just checked your previous thread. Hopefully I'll get one with <1.1V

Is there anyway to tell before I open the box what the VID is? as I want to keep one sealed.

1.1125v is the VID.

Actually the lower the VID the better apparently, here's some oc results from a different forum I frequent, that's me at 3.6GHz. Note the lower vcore at 4.0GHz and 4.2GHz for the two "non standard" VIDs (1.0875 & 1.075) it appears the Batch Number has a significant bearing on overclock potential as well.

I could boot to 4.0GHz at 1.3375v but it wasn't stable under Prime blend test and at the time I didn't want to push it too much as it was only a couple of days old. (I'm thinking of getting an X3360 now) I have since found that it may have been caused by a bios setting (Ai Transaction Booster, I had it set to 3 but i seem to get more stable overclocks at lower vcore using a setting of 2) I have since relaxed it but I'm yet to swap the Q6600 and the E3110 to check this theory.

EDIT: Note that the vcore shown in the table below is as reported in Windows so accounting for vdrop and vdroop they are a little higher, my 1.2v is set to 1.225v in the bios.

45nmpf7.jpg

Thanks for that. Looking at that table makes me think I should've gone for the E3110, but the thermal specification of 60c seemed low and I would have wanted to push it past that. I think I got a good price for them, $384 for two. Whereas a single E3110 was going to cost me $230.

Doesn't the X3360 have a 6-8 multi?

EDIT: It has an 8.5 multi. I wouldn't be willing to spend $500 TBH.

Thermal spec isn't 60°C, I contacted Intel Customer Support to verify this and got them to update the processorfinder page detail to reflect the true figure (it was previously blank), the thermal spec is the same as the E8400 at 72.4°C

LINK

EDIT: Multi, I believe so and that is what is holding me back, but with the non ocable Nehalem info doing the rounds I'm a little worried that an X3360 could well be my last ocing chip.

There was a Canadian site (TankGuys) who were listing the thermal spec as 60.1°C and I emailed them to verify their info source but they never replied so i went straight to intel.

See the thermal spec for the E3110, it was blank until I asked Intel to put a figure in there. Click the link in my post above yours.

I'll see how it goes. If I can't get 4GHz, the French'll pay $300 for them so I'm good.

But at least I've got a little more voltage to play with on the E8400, I've read about how the 45nm chips are so much more senitive to overvolting.

EDIT: Multi, I believe so and that is what is holding me back, but with the non ocable Nehalem info doing the rounds I'm a little worried that an X3360 could well be my last ocing chip.
Last thing I read they were running at 3.2GHz. But this is a ground up new architecture, is it not? So I wouldn't be suprised if OC'ing isn't as good as Netburst/Core.

45nm Hi-K Phenom perhaps? The 9850 BE's have already been hitting 3.5.

yes there have been reported failures due to degradation through overvolting, i've seen one guy who stated he killed an E8400 in nine days by using 1.5v, :( I'd be broken at that lol, the rule of thumb appears to be not to exceed 1.4v

On the X3360, I can do 500MHz+ FSB on the p5E3 so 8.5*500= 4250MHz or 8.5*470= 4000MHz, I'd be happy with a 4.0GHz 45nm quad

:D

EDIT: There's a couple of articles on Fudzilla (not the most reliable source I know) that have info on Intel planning to lock the cpu's and market a more expensive unlocked version for overclocking, nothing to do with architecture, all to do with marketing I would say.

market a more expensive unlocked version for overclocking, nothing to do with architecture, all to do with marketing I would say.
Does this mean less extreme prices for the unlocked models?

Back
Top Bottom