P4--different cores? Prescott, Northwood, Coppermine??

chrisharris

Baseband Member
I just bought a P4 3.0ghz with the Prescott core. I strapped it on a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G Rev 4.0 board. It's a dual channel supported board and I've got 2gb of DDR PC3200 on it. So, I guess it sees 4GB. Whatever. I don't really know squat about this stuff. This was my first system build from the ground-up. I'm happy. Very happy when you compare it to my old Plll 550mhz on a 100mhz board with 384mb of sdram.

Now I want to build a system for my dad. He's on a budget, and doesn't want the latest 3.0ghz processor or 800mhz board. I can buy older and slower stuff significantly cheaper--and it will be lightyears ahead of his current system. Pll 266mhz on a 100mhz board. He's not a gamer and just uses his PC for email and general internet surfing. Occasionally downloads a pic or small video to watch in WMP. He's on dial-up and will never pay for DSL or cable--so thats gonna be the bottleneck in the system.

I wanted to buy one of the older and slower P4 processors. They are much cheaper. I have found 1.8ghz up to 2.4ghz processors for really cheap prices, but they all have different CORES.

Whats the difference in these cores? They are Coppermine, Northwood, Prescott...etc..

One of them--can't remember--runs at a different speed. 13ns? While it seems that most of them run at 90ns.

Can someone please tell me what the differences are in the cores? Do I even need to worry about it--given the usage it will get at my fathers house?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the Coppermine...

The Northwood is one of the best Pentium 4 cores ever made. The Gallatin is just as good too, but it was only in the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4ghz processor. The Prescott is a piece of crap. It has longer pipelines, which produce TONS of heat, and they use TONS of power (over 100w average).

The Gallatin and Northwood are 130nm, while the Prescott is 90nm. They're going to come out with the 65nm Conroe core soon. It's going to be awesome...expect it to be 30% faster than NetBurst.

Back
Top Bottom