Overheating problem

dimebagstu

Beta member
A friend of mine (who works in PC World) fitted a new heatsink and cpu fan for me after my old cpu fan stopped working but now my cpu temperature is around 65C idle and when I use a heavy app (such as a video converter) the temp shoots up above 90C until my comp locks up. I have done loads of searches and asked in loads of forums but still can't find out why this is happening. I read that the problem may be dust but my friend gave the inside of my comp a good clean before fitting the new heatsink so it can't be that. I also read that the problem could be not enough (or too much) thermal grease was applied but I asked my friend about this and he seems positive that is not the problem. I have tried running my computer with the side taken off the case and it still gets just as hot. Does anyone have any more ideas? its a Celeron 2.6 if that helps

Thermal grease helps the transfer of heat from the processor to the heatsink. Only a small amount should be used. Like a rice grain. It doesn't take that much to initiate the transfer of heat. Make sure the CPU is clean, meaning to use rubbing alcohol to get rid of any leftover thermal compound left behind. Don't touch the CPU with your greasy fingers either. Hold it by the sides. It should be ok after that point. Is the ambient temp of your case hot? Maybe the air isn't moving around that good inside the case. How many case fans do you have?

Maybe

dimebagstu said:
I also read that the problem could be not enough (or too much) thermal grease was applied but I asked my friend about this and he seems positive that is not the problem.

dimebagstu said:
I have tried running my computer with the side taken off the case and it still gets just as hot.

Did you even read what I said? or are you one of those people that just replies to any topic they can if they can help or not, just to push up their post count? because seriously, that didn't help at all.

dimebagstu said:
Did you even read what I said? or are you one of those people that just replies to any topic they can if they can help or not, just to push up their post count? because seriously, that didn't help at all.

well the problem is most likely caused by the thermal compound. Or then the new fan is broken. There is no way that the processor would get that hot if the thermal compound would be correctly applied and the hs and fan would be working like they should be.

And no, TRD is not one of the persons who reply just to get his post count up.

Back
Top Bottom