Overheating? Hard drive nearly dead?

geek_gal

Daemon Poster
Well after type'n that all out i lost it so to cut it short and get to the point..

Yesty while i was on my computer my screen and as it seemed my comp flickered to black then back normal again..I thought oh ok its maybe just power nothing to be too much worryed about..

But..Today i was on the computer doing the normal thing, check mail etc etc..
Then i started noticing a clicking noise that i had'nt noticed before so i saved what i was doing and just as i was doing that it froze and my screen went blue
"System Unstable"
The it went black
"Operating System not found on hard drive",
"Unable to access hard drive"
So i turned off my computer and let it rest awhile and i open up the comp and looked around, thinking maybe a cord fell out or something, just to try and give me an idea what to try or something to get it working..
I was nearly to give up and just to not bother, but i thought id turn it on just to see what happens...
....IT WORKED :eek:
Then if it said hard drive not found and Operating not found i thought it was compely wiped for some reason..Then why is it working again?
Will it happen again just next time it will be competely wiped and not workable..? :(
I also googled and find this and sounds alot like what happened or that has been happening~Hard drive nearly dead?

I really hope it wont happen again and at least keep going(workable) till i get my new computer :(

Thanks again anyone for help :)

This looks like the Hard drive's hand have a hard time to be working. I have a wesrn Digital that clicks. When I opened it again, I saw the problem:

The HDD's hand was hitting the cilyndric shape in the middle of the disc. I was looking if it was any difficulties, but no. I think the hand needs to be reajusted. If not, Well, I'll probably bend it a little lol :p (Now, I think it will blow into flaming bits :p)

Anyways, your HDD is taking it's retirement. BTW, what HDD d'you got?

You opened a hard drive?! Never do that if you plan on still using it! If anything gets inside a hard drive, even the smallest piece of dust, it could ruin the drive. And by ruin, I mean cause the arm to crash into the incredibly fast-spinning disks and basically explode.

But anyway, it sounds like your drive is becoming corrupt and basically dying. Back up your files now! If you won't be getting a new computer for awhile or if you can't have a broken computer for any period of time, I suggest getting a cheap drive to hold you over until you get a new computer. Or you can get a super nice drive to use later in your new one whenever you build it. In any case, your drive is going bad, and it's only a matter of time before you can't do anything with it.

This happened to my laptop (without the clicking noise). It started to have a lot of blue screens and then would reboot and be fine.. and then it happened, it wouldn't boot at all just keep rebooting at the "toshiba" screen (my computer is a toshiba). I ended up having to spend $200 to get a new drive and a new version of windows. anyways, good luck! I hope you get your files saved off

Yeah, it does sound like the HHD is failing, thats basiclly what happened to my old lappy (HP pravillion). make sure you back up all impoartant files... it does sound like its starting to fail...

O dear i thought it might be, :( .. im so pissed off, I have SOoooooOOO many files to try and back up, so far ive backed up my doc's and I have SOooo many pictures etc its gunna take SO freak'n long to do it manually like I have to! Not fair! *Grrr*… this sucks!

lhuser said:
This looks like the Hard drive's hand have a hard time to be working. I have a wesrn Digital that clicks. When I opened it again, I saw the problem:

The HDD's hand was hitting the cilyndric shape in the middle of the disc. I was looking if it was any difficulties, but no. I think the hand needs to be reajusted. If not, Well, I'll probably bend it a little lol :p (Now, I think it will blow into flaming bits :p)

Anyways, your HDD is taking it's retirement. BTW, what HDD d'you got?

This is what I don't get really, it was brand new when I got it(if I remember correctly) and my old old hard drive I had in last longer and it was used! If my hard drive is on its way out would it be really damaged from the overheating, im pretty sure that's happening?
The hard drive what I have now is a Seagate.

spank_fusion said:
You opened a hard drive?! Never do that if you plan on still using it! If anything gets inside a hard drive, even the smallest piece of dust, it could ruin the drive. And by ruin, I mean cause the arm to crash into the incredibly fast-spinning disks and basically explode.

But anyway, it sounds like your drive is becoming corrupt and basically dying. Back up your files now! If you won't be getting a new computer for awhile or if you can't have a broken computer for any period of time, I suggest getting a cheap drive to hold you over until you get a new computer. Or you can get a super nice drive to use later in your new one whenever you build it. In any case, your drive is going bad, and it's only a matter of time before you can't do anything with it.

No no no I didn't open it up, I opened the case and had a look around, but I was tempted to try and do something like that, good thing I didn't..'eek' I not THAT dumb anyways..

That's a good idea I was thinking of putting my old old hard drive in, but its like 4gb…that's lousy..
...i dunno..

mammikoura said:
Yes if u open a harddrive u should not try to use it again. Could end up being quite messy. But if u want to u should use something like this: http://www.dps.state.ok.us/policecorps/1stacademy/pictures/bombsuit2.jpg

Just to be safe :p

But yeah, just get a new hdd. I'd suggest getting a good one and then using it on the new computer u are going to build.

LOL :p that made me laugh...ow thanks! That guy looks like a dork tho :p

I dunno what im gunna do tho..With the new comp im getting(still saving up for parts, feels like forever!) I have a new hard drive 80gb W.D one, so..

Is there *anyway* possible to try and fix it tho? Coz i really dont want to put in my new 80gb HHD in this crappy comp i got now, it would put down the meaning of a all new computer ya see..idn *sigh*

Seagates are generally very reliable. Is your Power Supply up to scratch? An underpowered rig would cause similar problems. WHat make/model is your PSU and what components do you have in your rig?

spank_fusion said:

I basically do it in a dust free environement. Plus, I clean it up before putting it back. And, there is a dust filter in, so don't worry about it. I could even make it run open...until it rusts

@G.G: This is the first timeI hear from Seagate doing this. I wouldn't have been suprised witha Maxtor, Quantum or IBM...but Seagate...wow :eek:

If you can, get a Samsung HDD. Their chips are way better. I've looked at it and some chips are from JVC

lhuser said:
I basically do it in a dust free environement. Plus, I clean it up before putting it back. And, there is a dust filter in, so don't worry about it. I could even make it run open...until it rusts
There's no such place as a "dust free environment" except for a clean room.

Back
Top Bottom