Overclocking

hockeyman4413

In Runtime
Hiya guys,
Before i get to the overclocking, i have a quick question. i got a nvidia 8600gt 256mb ddr3 vid card, but when i run dxdiag, it says approx. total memory of 1008mb. what does that mean?

ok, so i have 8600gt and i was wondering what program i should use to overclock it, as being in a dell, idk if that changes anything. also, i dont wanna just google an oc program cuz i donthave any experience with them. i dont know any of the specs on the card, sorry.

also, could i oc my processor bein that its in a dell? i have a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6420 (2.13GHZ,1066FSB) with 4MB cache. ty in advance, and sorry if i seem vauge or confusing or if this question has been asked a million times already :)

Edit; well i just seent he 2 oc guides, im dumb! well i still wanna know about the dxdiag thing at least, sry about the useless thread it seems.

odds are your video card has turbo cache, which means the card only has a portion of the memory on it, and it steals the rest from your normal RAM.

well, im runnin vista, so ill use riva tuner. how do i know if i need to up my fan speed? also, this may sound noobie, but what actually happens when i raise the core and memory clocks on the vid card, does it mean thats what it will run at all the time or is that the max it will get? sry if thats confusing.

edit; what 3dmark should i dl? '05, '06?

Well Riva Tuner has a temp measuring tool in it. I'd recommend turning it to at least 80% I run mine at 100%. Not sure what the temps are like on those cards but i'd turn the fan up after you start hitting 75C loaded.

Mine at 100% idles 50C and loads around 65-70C with the overclock in my sig.

Use 06 thats the most recent benchmark.

well, i have 2 gigs ram, so idk. :(

o, and to mattie, does raising the fan speen make it noticable louder?

I guess if you have a extremely quite system. I can run mine 100% and can't notice any difference. Other people say they run there's at 80% and can notice a difference in sound. It just depends how loud your rig is already and how loud you want it to be.

Back
Top Bottom