os troubles

killzoneman0

In Runtime
i am planning to get an amd athlon 64 3500+ processor. what operating systems are 64 bit? also, what are the advantages of having a 64 bit os instead of a 32bit? finally, is windows xp and xp pro 64 bit?

windows xp (pro or not) is not 64 bit.

you do get windows 64 bit edition though!

i think thats the only 64 bit os.. unless theres a linux version thats 64bit, but not that i know of.

advantages.. smoother running.. quicker etc...

disadvantages... not all hardware has 64bit drivers... not as stable....

jay8990 said:
disadvantages... not all hardware has 64bit drivers... not as stable....

what do you mean by not all hardware has 64bit drivers and its not as stable? also where can i find it and if i have a router that works only with xp, will it work with the 64bit os?

well a driver is a program that allows the computer to interact with hardware (like your router). xp as it is now is 32 bit, and most drivers are 32 bit! because everythings been that the last decade! but now 64 bit is coming in.. hardware manufacturers are having to write 64 bit drivers as well as 32 bit drivers! but not all manufacturers actually do, so you could end up buying hardware and not being able to use it as you do not have drivers for it (although most 32bit drivers work with 64 bit os)

as i said most 32 bit drivers should work ok with 64 bit windows, but some dont. so theres no answer as to whther your router will work with windows 64, as it does windows xp (32)

and by stable i mean it wont crash / freeze/ etc... 64 bit technology is new! so the software is not perfected yet! windows xp is very stable, but then this is microsofts 5th version (95,98,ME,2000,XP) of a 32 bit os - so its no wonder with all the practice it is be pretty stable! :p :D

Back
Top Bottom