OS Installation and HDD issue (urgent)

Jbo66

Beta member
I just finished Installing all of my hardware into the chassis and configured my bios. I put in the windows setup disk and run the setup. It says that if you need to load any drivers for either the optical drives or harddrives that I need to press F6 at the blue-screen. I need to load drivers for the hard drive, but my dad bought an out-of-the-box HITACHI DeskStar Harddrive not realizing that it doesnt come with the installation disks or the drivers.

I tried to just continue, but when I get to the partitioning screen my HDD doesnt even come up as an option, as if the computer doesnt even recognize that its even there. (Before anyone tries to tell me to check if the SATA or Power Cables are connected correctly, I'm telling you ahead of time, they are connected right. I've checked multiple times. Also, they are connected to the right ports on the MB.) I tried to press the ENTER button and the ARROW keys but then an error message came up and I had to restart the computer.

Now, I went to the HITACHI website to see if there was any way to get these installation and driver disks but they said that they dont sell them seperatly. Also, they said that the operating system has them already installed. But, how can I get them from the OS if I cant even get the OS installed.

I need help from anyone who can help. Is there a way for me to continue with the installation of the OS. Or do I need to buy a new Hard Drive with the Drivers and Installation Disks alltogether.

This seem to be a common problem to SATA drives. Does your BIOS have the option for SATA hard drive as the primary boot device?

the drivers have nothing to do with the harddrive, they should be on your mobo's cd or floppy provided.

If it's on a floppy, you press the F6 key during the Windows install and wait for it to ask you to insert the disk.

If it's on a CD, you can try the same way as above but most of the time you'll have to find the SATA drivers from the motherboard utility CD from another computer and copy them to a floppy disk.

SATA hd drive installation.

First of all ... does your motherboard see the hard drive? My ASUS board will show it even if I dont have any OS loaded. However, you will need to load SATA drivers to load your OS (as everyone has been saying above).

Go to your mobo site not Hitachi and download SATA drivers from there. They should have an .exe to extract the appropriate files to a floppy. Once you've done this, go to the machine you're working on and begin the installation process.

When XP asks you if you have drivers to load press F6 ... do so. Then it will come to a screen asking you to press "S" to load drivers. Hit "S" then you will be asked to insert your floppy and hit enter. Your floppy will list drivers for the various windows OS's. Choose XP ... if this is the OS you're working with. It will load the drivers and return to the screen where it asks you to choose "S" or enter again. This time hit enter and it will continue on with the OS installation like normal.

The key here is to get the SATA drivers from your mobo site. What is the mobo model you're working with? Perhaps I can find the correct link for you.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom