optical drive causing freezing

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I put a Blu-Ray reader in my desktop about a month ago. I've played DVDs and Blu-Rays in it and sometimes it will just freeze the whole system when it's playing. I thought it was he program causing the freezing at first, but it still froze when I played a DVD through a different program. The freezing isn't really the big problem though. It won't boot past post unless I reset the BIOS by taking out the battery after a hard restart. After a BIOS reset it's fine. But I'm getting tired of opening up my case to reset the BIOS everytime I watch a DVD or Blu-Ray on the drive. My other DVD-RW drive works fine playing DVDs. Could it just need a firmware update or something? I've never had a problem like this before.

The drivers you have installed, are they compatible with 7 x64? You might want to check that out. Also, try reseating the drive using a different sata port.

I've never had to install a driver for an optical drive in my life... Didn't really think about it, but that might be the problem since it's a Blu-Ray drive. I still don't understand how that can screw up my BIOS settings though. I'll check the cables and see if there's a driver for it.

Well, I have had problems well a dell before. The drive would open and close really fast and cause the BSOD every once and a while (didn't know it was the drive causing it at the time)

It turned out that it was a different driver that was affecting it. The guy using it set up a raid... and dell had some stupid driver for it :p Needless to say, after installing that everything worked.

This was after Dell sent me a replacement drive and another sata cable. That didn't work so they insisted on sending me the drive and cable two more times. I Finally convenced them to send me a mobo and they sent me a server mobo... they sent me the right one later and it didn't work.

The LiteOn ihos104 is my drive. I tried the LiteOn site and when you go to download the firmware it sends you to a "Permission Required" page... I couldn't find anywhere else to download it. The only disc the drive came with was for Power DVD and the electronic user manual. I checked the cables and moved them around. I guess I'll watch a DVD on it tonight and see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom