Old hard drive

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
Been cleaning out the rv and came across a hard drive that i can't remember what i used it on. I am thinking of hooking it up to see what is on it or if it is a dead drive. I think the safest way would be to unhook my present drives and then try the old drive. Hope i don't blow myself up!! Other ideas?:confused:

As it turns out it was a old version of 32 bit version Windows 7. It messed my display up but good. I lost the hdmi all the way. Using the VGA for now. Screen is messed up big time. Drive is trashed! I took the hammer to it!

Its a slow drive, i think its a 5600rpm. When it started screwing with the settings and messing with video, i unplugged and busted it up so i wouldn't try and use it again. It was acting strange too. Kept getting beeps from the computer. Told me right then there was a issue. I think thus one was from a build o say three builds ago. With it causing beeps and messing up my video, its most likely bad. That would be why i stopped using it. Its a brick now and was when i tried to run it on this computer. I was afraid that this would happen. I should have hammered it back when it went bad. Hindsight...

Possibly. However, I worked in IBM's disk drive business for 20 years and never encountered a hard drive causing those issues.

You tried to boot from it, right? I would expect those kinds of issues when booting from a drive that didn't have the correct drivers installed.

Yep, I have another 80 gig non-sata IDE drive that is really old! As soon as i find it again i need to remember if i destroyed it or not.

You should've hooked the drive up as a secondary so you don't have to boot it. The drive expected to see the old system it was once on.

As a result you've just saw it.

I plan to get another ssd drive again. Will then clone my current drive to the ssd and make the current drive my backup. The current drive is my 10000 rpm drive. This one is one of the new drives. Its a 250gb. Will be getting a 250 gb drive to make as main drive. Right now with all the programs i am only using about 55gb. I can't connect to that old drive as my board don't have a ide connector on it so i well make sure its toast too. Its a old ide 80 gb 5600 rpm drive. Anyway, it as a computer, works pretty fast but a ssd will really speed it up even more. Anyway thats the plan.

Back
Top Bottom