okay.. something weird just happened..

mammikoura

Golden Master
I'm really confused. 1st I thought that it would be a virus or something, but now everything seems to be fine and AntiVir and AVG didn't pick anything up, also startup looks normal.

On this sunny day I was happily playing Civilisations4.
Then suddenly I was in windows.
The game was still running so I just opened it.
2 seconds and again I'm in windows.
Then I was like wtf is going on.
Well then the game crashed.
Which I was pretty sure was going to happen next, so I wasn't surprised.
Then my computer started to shut down.
At this point I was pretty freaked out, I was thinking that it's a virus.
Then I quicly shut my computer (manually) and then booted it up again.
Everything working fine.
Then started to scan with AntiVir and then I get a windows pop-up saying that there is very little space left in the C: drive.
Again I was confused, there was supposed to be atleast 4GB of free space (I know thats really full but still)
So I go and check.
60mb free space.
Again I say the words, wtf?
Then I delete a few files that I don't need (knowing that there should be like 4GB free space left, but there isn't)
So I deleted one file.
Then windows tells me that I can't delete a file because it's protected or it is being used.
Then I go back to my computer.
and to my surprise I'm getting back the lost space, slowly like 200mb every 3 seconds I get more and more free space to my C: drive.
And now I have all the space I should have and the computer is working as it should.

So anybody wants to make a gues on what the hell just happened?

Now that I tried to post this it wouldn't let me :confused:
But I'm guessing that it's just a problem with CF (had it happen before) and nothing to do with what just happened to my pc.

unplug ur internet. sounds like someone is tryin to user ur computer as a server. see if it still loads stuff on with no internet connection

nothing too weird on hijackthis
startup is clean
scanned with ad-aware and spybot, nothing found.

And chunalt, ur explanation makes alot of sence. Explains why the space ran out, and that would explain the crash. But how did the space just start to come back?

But everything seems to be ok now, has been running for a few hours with no problems.
Thanks for the help guys.

mammikoura said:
I'm really confused. 1st I thought that it would be a virus or something, but now everything seems to be fine and AntiVir and AVG didn't pick anything up, also startup looks normal.

On this sunny day I was happily playing Civilisations4.
Then suddenly I was in windows.
The game was still running so I just opened it.
2 seconds and again I'm in windows.
Then I was like wtf is going on.
Well then the game crashed.
Which I was pretty sure was going to happen next, so I wasn't surprised.
Then my computer started to shut down.
At this point I was pretty freaked out, I was thinking that it's a virus.
Then I quicly shut my computer (manually) and then booted it up again.
Everything working fine.
Then started to scan with AntiVir and then I get a windows pop-up saying that there is very little space left in the C: drive.
Again I was confused, there was supposed to be atleast 4GB of free space (I know thats really full but still)
So I go and check.
60mb free space.
Again I say the words, wtf?
Then I delete a few files that I don't need (knowing that there should be like 4GB free space left, but there isn't)
So I deleted one file.
Then windows tells me that I can't delete a file because it's protected or it is being used.
Then I go back to my computer.
and to my surprise I'm getting back the lost space, slowly like 200mb every 3 seconds I get more and more free space to my C: drive.
And now I have all the space I should have and the computer is working as it should.

So anybody wants to make a gues on what the hell just happened?

Now that I tried to post this it wouldn't let me :confused:
But I'm guessing that it's just a problem with CF (had it happen before) and nothing to do with what just happened to my pc.

If you can at least boot it up, you can go to networks and make it so that the windows firewall is running, then hit the settings thingy and start up the firewall logger, then make sure you aren't using your inet browser and check the log (search it and go to it and open it), it should be a text document that has a bunch of IP addresses. Copy and Paste it plz.

Someone, for some odd reason, could try to be using your PC as a server, this explains the lack of space because if you were being a server your hard drive would need to store info, then send it and so forth. What I would do is try to get the Zone Alarm Firewall at http://www.download.com just search for it. It's a free tril version, run that for a few days, it tells you EVERYTHING that is trying to connect to your PC, and I do mean EVERYTHING. You can also set a very high security level, which in turn should allow jack-diddily-squat to get thorugh your network and onto your PC, despie how good a "cracker" may be.

Also, I wouldn't advise using AVG Antivirus, I've had it before, used it, and it found things, but then when I tried the trial version of an antivirus program a friend suggested, the new antivirus program called NOD32 made by Eset, found things that AVG didn't. So you may want to download the trial version of another antivirus and run that just to make sure. Also, get a Malware remover from http://www.download.com as well, it never hurts to search for other things.

And if you wantr to free up even more space, go to http://www.download.com again and get a Hard Drive Cleaner, the one I use is WinASO Cleaner. It celaner up 1 gigabyte of temp files that CCleaner couldn't even find! So it's failry good, plus it gets rid of unsed registry entries, which will help overall PC performance. Hope this was helpful. :)

Someone could use your comp as a server and temporarly fill your HDD up and such. Then when it's finished, he deletes them.

Quick question: How does someone use your computer as a server without asking you? I don't think it's hacking or "cracking" because isn't using a server generally for gaming?

lhuser said:
Depending...mammikoura, do you use your comp as a server?

no I don't.

lhuser said:
Someone could use your comp as a server and temporarly fill your HDD up and such. Then when it's finished, he deletes them.

well yeah, kinda explains it. But I rebooted so he had to loose the connection, right? And then like 2 mins after the boot the space started to come back.
So wouldn't it be kinda hard to get back to delete them in just like 2 mins?

And 1337DuD3, funny how u mention zone alarm.
See, I was using sygate firewall for a few months, but then it didn't want to start anymore so I installed zonealarm, this happened today. (well the sygate firewall stopped working a few days before but I was behind 2 router firewalls so I didn't need a firewall before now)
Then today this thing happens. :D
And I'm also using the "weaker" firewall in my router, think it's a NAT firewall.
I could use the one which blocks ports exept the ones I want to be open, but it's going to be a mess getting all my games to work throught that firewall.

And also as I think I said, I use AntiVir as my primary AV, AVG is just incase I need some backup. :)

Back
Top Bottom