ok i need help with my dell xps 700

kevkid

Baseband Member
I bought that system but the build your own system so no harddrive or graphics card and i read an artical about the dell xps 600 and the artical stated that the system was propritory (sorry for the spelling) and maby some parts that i buy from newegg dont work so can any one tell me is this true???
please and thanks.

Should just be a standard IDE and AGP or PCI-e slot if it didn't come with a video card and hard drive. Open up the case and see what you got..

yep everything looks standard, its just if i wanted to buy a new sata harddrive i just have to put it in and makesure the bios recognises it. also the pci slots are normal so if i wanted to put in a graphics card would it work???

Yeah, just plug in the SATA HDD, and it should reconise it straight off. You may have to install drivers off a floppy disc..but most of the time, you don't..

Yeah you could just install a PCI card..but PCI is crap..no point having an XPS with a PCI card, they don't evan belong in the same sentance.

lol, jox is right, i believe that dell has upgraded to pci-e not too long ago, my friend has an old dimension(3-5 years old) and a new dimension (at most 1.5 years old) the old one is agp and the new one is pci-e...i think im pretty sure

Yeah, PCI-e (PCI-Express) is the latest, evan the laptops used a mobile PCI-e, so I would expect an XPS to have at least an AGP slot..open it up and take a picture of the motherboard, or just use these to help..

This has got most things, apart from PCI-e..

A455-1040COUT.jpg

PCI-e..

px915gprologo6big.jpg

The red one is PCI-express, and the blue ones, PCI-e X1, which are not used for video cards, so just ignore them..and the white ones, PCI..

joxley1990 said:
The red one is PCI-express, and the blue ones, PCI-e X1, which are not used for video cards, so just ignore them..and the white ones, PCI..
That, I shall disagree. Maxtor makes some PCI-E x1 cards. I seen them. Heck, my province even have a division.

Also, it's used for nome NIC card and stuff.

Yeah I know that you can use them for video cards, but no video card that uses a PCI-e X1 slot can be sufficent for gaming, they're too slow for video cards.

thanks guys soo much but whats funny is that im using an old harddrive that i got out of an old dell optiplex it wasnt sata it was the older (ide i think) type so i installed it in to the computer and the bios recognised it instantly and i installed windows no problem but when im in windows it laggs very badly, i think that the harddrive isnt spinning at its optimal speed so maby thats why it laggs, one more thing i took out my sata harddrive out of my other dell (dimension E510) i did this and the bios recognised it instantly but there was 3 options (off=disable sata harddrives, on=enable harddrives, and raid=harddrives are enabled and configured for raid.) i picked "on" and i restarted went into settings and it recognised it but when i put in the xp disk it didnt recognise anything it said "there is no harddrive recognised" it said that there might be a power problem. (this was all on the sata hardrive i took off of my other dell.)
please help. thanks :)

p.s. there is 1 or 2 agp slots there is a pci x16 and 3 pci slots.

Your AGP slot would be brown, PCI-e could be green/red/blue/black and PCI white

You'd either have one or the other (AGP/PCI-e) not both

Back
Top Bottom