Offering website access to customers in a store?

limitup

Beta member
I helped setup a website for a local retail store that also has an "Internet only" division. Basically they sell retail widgets, but they also offer other widgets that are only available via their website.

What they want to do now is setup a couple of computer terminals in the retail store where customers can sit down and view their website, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this.

Would it be best/easiest to just buy a couple of cheap PCs and hook them up to the network, or is there a better way such as some type of "dumb" Internet terminals?

I guess I'm just conerned with maintanence and troubleshooting of these computers if customers are constantly messing with them, doing who knows what on the Internet, etc. Ideally they would just be dumb terminals that allowed access to the store's website and nothing else. I just don't know if something like that exists?

I guess if I use regular cheap PCs I can install firewalls on them all and restrict access only to IE, and then maybe I can use the hosts file or something else to restrict them to only the 1 website? Or does the hosts file require you to enter each site you want to block individually (obviously impossible).

What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Thin clients would be the best way to go for that, what kind of server are they running?

limitup said:
The site is on a linux server.

What version, packages, etc..? "linux server" is like saying its on the peice of sand at the beach lol. more detailed information about the server/OS would be very helpfull

Back
Top Bottom