OEM, Retail?

grip

Baseband Member
What does OEM mean in regards to Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/SP2-OEM? Same question with "Retail" in place of OEM. OEM is cheaper but why?

check this out,

It's important to have a full understanding of the definition for the term "OEM". Often a computer hardware component is identified as being OEM. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Semiconductor manufacturers have two ways of distributing their products. Retail being the one you're no doubt the most familiar with, and OEM.

If the component is OEM then it means the component is intended to be sold as part of a complete system instead of as an individual component. OEM components provide the manufacturer with the most revenue plus a more secure revenue stream. This is because the OEMs, who are the ones buying the component, must do so under a contract. The contract guarantees that the OEM will make large monthly purchases of the component for a number of months. In return, the the manufacturers provide much better volume pricing to the OEMs.

woz

So if I want the complete Windows XP Pro. OS I need to buy the retail version, correct? What doesn't the OEM version have that the Retail version has?

If you buy the OEM version of Microsoft Windows XP Pro w/ SP2, then you are going to get Microsoft Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. I always thought that OEM stood for Other Equipment Manufacturer which is why it is cheaper, and so in other words, instead of getting a fancy box with all the manuals, registration key and CD(s) inside, you will only get the CD(s), manual and registration key.

The difference between OEM and Retail in this situation is that if you buy the OEM version, I don't think it will allow you to re-install it again if a partition on your hard drive goes wrong. If you buy the retail version, I think you get three licenses to re-install it. Buying the OEM version is by far the best option, that is why there are more OEM versions sold over Retail.

Don't worry though, it is a perfectly legal version of Windows, just without the box and extra licenses. :)

the only diff between OEM and retail is that u dont get the box, u get the cd and the cd key and maybe the manual thats it everything else is the same

Yeah, the OS will probably come with one of those cheesy paper envelope with the product key on the back of it. No nice packaging like the box and beautiful Microsoft design with manual.

For an OS, get OEM. No need to pay extra bucks for retail.

I agree with all of you. As long as I'm getting full capabilities from the OEM version and nothing is left out then I'll get the OEM version.

I was also wanting to get into a Linux based OS but am unsure of where to start. I read some reviews on Xandros and took a second thought on purchasing it. I would love to get away from the Windows format and have more control over my OS. Any educated advice to be given?

Just as clarification since there are some conflicting responses: OEM software is exactly the same as retail software! It just doesn't come with the fancy packaging. THAT'S IT!

spank_fusion said:
Just as clarification since there are some conflicting responses: OEM software is exactly the same as retail software! It just doesn't come with the fancy packaging. THAT'S IT!

Exactly.

OEM software only comes packaged with a new PC. Other than eBay, there is nowhere else you can buy OEM software legally.

So when Newegg.com posts an OEM version of an OS that OS can only be purchased with an additional purchase of some hardware?

Back
Top Bottom