Odd Issues, Need Help! CPU Pins bent! How Do I Fix!

Derek R

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

Me and my Dad were building a computer together. So far, it has not gone off to good. I'll start from the start. For my 16th birthday, I wanted a new gaming computer. So I started to tell them what I wanted and etc, made sure everything was compatible with each other. >>>Fast Foward<<< I got the parts in the mail, and I hooked it all up, it seemed to work perfectly, I had a hacked version of Windows XP. So I started playing around etc, and it would crash alot. I thought this was weird, and so I convinced my parents to upgrade me to Windows 7, and they did.>>>Fast Forward<<< So I got my Windows 7 installed. So I have a completely new computer, it was wiped etc, and it just had Windows 7.

So, I installed Mozilla Firefox, and a few other simple "base programs" like such. Then I tried to install World of Warcraft. I was having issues installing stuff on the XP version, and though Windows 7 was the cure, turns out I was wrong. I was still recieving an "Error 8." So I called Blizzard up, and we narrowed it down through some troubleshooting steps, and figured out that my ASUS motherboard was "deffective".

I took the RIG apart, and layed the motherboard out on my desk. I called newegg, and they said that they would give me a return on the motherboard (YAY!). So that's good news, but, while I was extracting the CPU from the board, some of the chips got bent, and Im not sure what to do to fix them. Am I screwed? I dunno, but my mood is flipping upside down over this issue, please help me and give me some idea's to fix it. I have tried to fix it with the "Credit Card" trick, and it worked a little bit, but there are still some that are still bent, please help. Also, is it normal for my motherboard to be deffective, it would sort of download data, and then had an issue finding it according to "BLIZZARD". Please help me out guys, I really need to chill out, im stressing out way to much, I really need help.

These are the specs to the PC, I know the VideoCard isn't there, it is coming along later on, because these parts where alot of money for us as it is.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808
These are my two trouble-makers, (above)
Couldn't find the other links, sorry guys, thanks for reading, and please help me out!

Thanks,
--Derek R.
Flordia

It's not "normal" to receive a bad motherboard, but it's not uncommon.

I have straightened CPU pins using a small exacto knife to gently ease them back into place. You can also use the end of a ballpoint pen. Just take a pen apart and use the bottom part to slide over the pins to help bend them back. Just take your time and don't rush through it. :D

Okay, I'll try that, I've been googling some stuff, and they said that Dental Floss is something to try too, I hope I dont screw up, I really dont want to pay another 160$. Maybe I should just go to an IT guy or something.

The pins that were bent, (maybe around 30!) I used a pocket knife, and straightened them out, thanks guys for your help! I was so, so scared there for a second. Also, a small little technique I used with the knife was, I tried to just use the tip, and DONT RUN THE KNIFE THROUGH THE CENTER TO STRAIGHTEN THE PINS! Do not screw up like that! Just use the small tip of the knife, and dont rush yourself and screw up! I did screw up at first like that, then I just took a deep breath, and started using the tip and taking my time, and it worked out fine, just take your time ^^.

I am having a hard time to take down a defective board. Random crashes...random errors...I think you're talking about bad RAM, and not the board.

I was thinking the same thing lhuser. . .
So, I installed Mozilla Firefox, and a few other simple "base programs" like such. Then I tried to install World of Warcraft. I was having issues installing stuff on the XP version, and though Windows 7 was the cure, turns out I was wrong. I was still recieving an "Error 8." So I called Blizzard up, and we narrowed it down through some troubleshooting steps, and figured out that my ASUS motherboard was "deffective".
Did you make sure to install all the drivers including motherboard, video card, etc?

To test for memory problems, this will do the trick: Memtest86+

I am having a hard time to take down a defective board. Random crashes...random errors...I think you're talking about bad RAM, and not the board.

No, we tested the RAM, it came with a "posotive" effect I guess. The data when it downloads doesn't "come back" the Motherboard cannot find it, this happens when I try to install something. Now, Blizzard and I did some stuff here, and we tried to download it with 1 of the sticks in, (tried both), then we tried downloading it with no RAM in, still the same problem each time, so I'm convinced it's not the RAM. But It's a good point, thanks for responding though, appreciate it ^^

I was thinking the same thing lhuser. . .

Did you make sure to install all the drivers including motherboard, video card, etc?

To test for memory problems, this will do the trick: Memtest86+

Yeah, my drivers are updated, sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

Back
Top Bottom