ODD Computer Shutdowns-

Zaki

Daemon Poster
Hi, my computer has been shutting off randomly and repeatedly for the past few months. I had to replace the motherboard (asus p4c800) the processor (intel p4 2.4 GHz) and the power supply (antec true power 430). While im working, browsing, or doing anything else it randomly shuts down. While checking the BIOS (im using the latest asus bios) i found that the power fan rpm reading is shown in red. What does this mean? Why is my computer shutting off like this? I have tried fixing it by:
1. Cleaning the computer COMPLETELY
2. Reapplying the thermal grease on the processor (twice, the first time i did this i thought i had found a solution because it did not shut down by itself for a few weeks untill recently)
3. Formatting the hardrive and reinstalling all the software
4. Deleting Service Pack 2 to see whether it was the problem.
5. Monitored computer temperatures (highest processor temp: 33 C, highest mother board temp: 30 C)

none of these things have worked, and i am frustrated.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and i hope to resolve this issue soon. Thank you for reading.

How many memory stick are you using? Try to use just one and see what happens. I was going to suggest a BIOS update, but you got the recent one already. The power fan RPM is showing red? Maybe it's running to slow and shows red. Perhaps it's heating up and causing power supply to shut down?

Hmmm...

Go in to the bios and check the high temp shutdown setting. My p4 2.4 has gotten way up there and not once shut down.
As for the fan speeds in red, what are the rpms on the cpu fan? Is it a stock heatsink and fan?

BanChan: my powersupply is only a few months old, because my old one blew up so i had to send it to antec for a replacement. I dont think it should be dying out.
im using two memory sticks 512 each.
the rpm on the cpu fan are about 2700, but the power fan reading is the one in red which is about 1102 (the lowest rpm of the three fan readings).
THe heatsink and fan are the ones that came with the pentium processor, so yes they are stock.

ok, so i went into the bios and there were no settings for cpu temperature limits which could possibly result in the computer shutting itself off. so what i did was that i turned the power fan monitoring off, this showed the rpm as disabled, but still in red. Therefore i turned off the auto power management on the bios, this made the disabled sign regular blue. furthermore my comp has not shut off yet (for about 3 hours now). hopefully this has resolved the issue of the random shut downs. Yet like anything in computing there is a chance of a new set of problems. Could turning of the auto power managment option in the bios be hazardous?

I got the same problem althougn mine only restarts if I got Bittornado ( bittorent downloads ) going

FullMetal said:
I got the same problem althougn mine only restarts if I got Bittornado ( bittorent downloads ) going

whats a bittorent download?
BTW we bought a new asus motherboard (we had the p4c800 deluxe, now we bought the asus p4c800 e deluxe) to see whether the problem is with the motherboard. Changing the bios power management options didnt do anything, and the comp kept on shutting down. :mad:

so......... did the motherboard help?

bittorrent is a program used to connect peers and up/down load from each other, so it doesnt use the site's bandwidth very very clever idea but not the fastest downloads, usually people use it to download anime.

ill get the motherboard by wednesday (ordered it today).

bittorrent cant be it im pretty sure, but we'll see (eventually)
thanks BanChan.

Back
Top Bottom