OC, why cant it go higher?

CrackerJacker1

Daemon Poster
Its not that big of a deal, but I have the 4800x2. It comes 2.4ghz standard, but it just not that great with overclocking. I use systool to overclock, and when I run tests the highest I managed to get it was a 2.6
I know I seen a lot of people in forums say they are running it at a 2.8ghz or higher, but when I bring mine to 2.6ghz it manages for a while, but then my pc just totally bombs and restarts. From the monitors the heat says its running at 42-43*c. So I know the heat cant be the problem. Is it voltages? I set mine to 1.4v
The mobo is a Biostar TforceU, With the Nforce4 controller

P.S. I learn a lot of shit in the last week. manage to bring my x1800gto2 to xt speeds lol.
:p

I would raise voltages and see how it goes from there, little at a time though, and keep an eye on temps.

Yeah, I used to have problems OCing my 4600+, which is almost the same thing.
Anyway, you should go to nvidia's website and check out the nForce overclocking guide. I forget the link, but I know it's on there.

Most important thing to do is to go ahead and drop your HT speed. It will probably be somewhere in your CPU options and say CPU <-> NB HT speed or something like that. Drop it to x3, it will probably be at x5.

Chances are, you're getting memory errors. Use the latency that it auto-detects on boot, raise your V to at least 1.9V (I'm at 1.95) FOR RAM, not CPU if yours will go that high. Just clarifying so you don't blow it up and come after me. If it still doesn't work, drop your RAM speed or change your divider or something. Keep your multiplier as high as possible to avoid OCing your RAM too much.
For my CPU I'm at 1.45 now and it seems alright. This keeps me completely stable at 2.7GHz without excessive temperatures. You might be able to do better but I've just had trouble with the RAM and how this mobo works with it. My best 3dmark06 CPU score was 2000, so I improved quite a bit from stock. That was a pretty extreme clock, though. It's a little milder now.

I have been able to hit 2.8GHz but I always get memory errors whenever I do something memory-intensive. I'm sure if I dropped it to DDR2-667 it would work but I don't want to do that. Right now I'm at 2.7GHz and essentially DDR2-900. Good luck.

Also, do you know how to clear your CMOS? You might want to review that procedure before you get started. When you start fooling with clocks it's always a possibility it won't boot. Look in your motherboard manual for instructions.

He's using DDR, standard voltage is 2.8V. And it doesnt matter about memory speeds for AMD, you can use any divider, virtually no performance hit. And if your computer randomly restarts, it could be a heat issue too.

Ah, okay. A 939? Sorry for the confusion, what he said^
But it would still be a good idea to look for the nForce overclocking PDF on nvidia's website.

Back
Top Bottom