ntfs and fat32

rymort

In Runtime
What is the difference between these? what are they and what should i choose when formatting?

If you have a single boot system that can use NTFS, then use it. It is better for file storage and allows you get the most of your harddrive.

Sample...
File size
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FAT 16
|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
FAT32 size
|----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|
NTFS
|-------------------------------------|

What does this tell you?
FAT16 and FAT32 break the harddrive into block of space, so if a file falls partly into a block it actually doesn't use the remaining free space and it can't write anything else in the block.

NTFS forms its blocks around the file size, so really there is no space used.

Downside...NTFS can only be read by a NTFS system. So, if your OS goes down and you want to get some data off the drive, you can't connect it to a Windows 95, 98 or DOS machine and see the data. It will look like the drive is not formatted.

Plus NTFS is much more efficient at reading and writing data...SPEED!!!

OK...one major fact I forgot to mention.

With today's HDD of 20, 80, 200GB and even 1TB, FAT system is not practical because a FAT32 can only support a max partition of 4GB, while NTFS is virtually unlimited.

Example:
20GB HDD
FAT16 = 10 partitions of 2GB size
FAT32 = 5 partitions of 4GB size
NTFS = any size, including 1 partition size of 20GB

200GB HDD
FAT16 = 100 partitions of 2GB size
FAT32 = 50 partitions of 4GB size
NTFS = any size, including 1 partition size of 200GB

i was told that windows 98 can only run on fat32, is this right?

what if i wanted to put windows 98 on a 20gb hard drive?
i would need 5 partitions?
why cant i have just one?

Well, it can use fat32 partitioning, you can use fat 16, but for a more stable windows OS , you'll want to use fat32.

And if yer gunna use win98, at least use Win98Se...
And make shure when your done w/the install, have a good anti-virus, and a firewall in place.

Before you go to Microsoft & get all the Critical Updates in place....

NTFS was originally used on the NT operating systems (specifically Windows 2000). It is far more stable then FAT32. Windows 2000 or XP are far more stable then 95 and 98.

Back
Top Bottom