Novice Help - Question #1

RKeaton

Baseband Member
I'm just presuming that there will be many more to follow.....

I recently bought a new PC. It's an HP m7330n Media Center model. The main reason I got it was as an upgrade - the system I had before was a good 4 or 5 years old, maybe a tad older. It had an Athlon 1100mhz processor and 256 mb of RAM. I wanted something new and fast.

Aside from being on the internet a lot I also edit lots of photos in Photoshop as I am a sports photographer. This new system has an AMD Dual Core processor, the 4200+ model and 1 gig of RAM. I like it fine, but to be honest overall this computer doesn't feel that much faster to me than my old one. I'm trying to figure out why.

One guess, tell me if it might be right: I had read a review by one purchaser of this PC who said it came with so much pre-installed crap on it that it wasn't that fast at first, but that after he 'cleaned it up' it's blazing fast. Indeed, there are a whole bunch of silly games and other junk on there. I deleted some by just going to control panel, add or remove programs. But I don't really know how to do much more than that. It's hard to tell - at least to me - what some of the programs in that list are and whether or not I should delete them as the names are a bit vague.

And most of all, will it really speed up my system if I just delete programs? I don't know anything, but it would seem to me that I mainly want to delete anything that is running in the background that I don't need. How do I know what's running automatically and what isn't? If I open the Task Manager thing and click 'processes' it says there are something like 52 processes. But I don't really even know what a 'process' is, do they slow things down?

Someone please clarify this a bit for me. I'd really like to get max speed and performance out of this thing since I paid a fair chunk of money for it. Whether I'm working or not (doing my photo editing) I would like it to be really fast, even just for being online.

I really appreciate any help, thanks.

Rob

Yeah, that pre-installed crap is a problem. It bogged down my dell too. But, did the Windows Disk come with your computer? Because all you need to do is simply reformat. And get the basic windows componets. And it will be much, much faster! We can help walk your through a reformat if you like.

And welcome to the forums!

Funny you should ask, I hadn't even thought about it but NO, I don't see any Windows disc in with the stuff that came in the box. (Plenty of other stuff, but no disc that I can find.)

Can I still do the reformat thing? I don't know what that means but it sounds promising. I like the idea of my system being somewhat 'stripped down', as it were.

And thanks for your welcome! ;)

Well, call up HP, and say that you got a virus. Tell them your computer needs reformatting (because they wont like the idea of you getting rid of their software). And you can also buy a new Windows xp. But thats close to $90. And you dont need too. But.. If you cant manage to get a disk... I have one that I would send to you. Not the most legal of disks (Windows XP, corperate). Its the disk that you can install on multiple machines. Its a disk that schools and business use. And I got a burned version from a friend. Although.. I doubt you will need that. Just call them up, and ask for your disk. Because technicly you are entitled to it. Your computer, your operating system, your damn disk! :)

Good luck, and when you get the disk, come back, and make a thread.

Also.. If you dont want to wait, we can get started walking you through the deletion process of programs. It makes a difference, but nothing to the level of the reformat.

I will try calling HP and see how that goes. Factoring in hold time, look for that new thread sometime in the next couple weeks!

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Create a thread titled..

''How to remove HP embedded software from my new computer''

And then.. state your question, and you will get a bunch of poeple to help you. Ill even post there too, but I need go for a while. Sorry dude.

The reason im telling you to do this, is to get as much crap off right now as possible. And you dont want to wait a few weeks to get your computer to run smoothly.

There is no need for that. Its brand spanking new. I mean the crap on their is just kinda there, using up system resources. Im sure its got more then enough disk space. And being brand new, a defrag would have no effect.

RKeaton said:
Gonna try that right now. You've been a huge help.

Dude.. No problem. Just remember were here to help.. dont be afraid to ask anything at all. Come here for all your computer needs ;)

Back
Top Bottom