Notebooks/Laptops With "Free" Wireless Internet?

dankup

Solid State Member
Hello. I'm looking for an older laptop/notebook (maybe P4 or a very cheap Dual Core). I know that new notebooks today have "free" wireless internet if you connect to an unsecured network. My question is are there notebooks/laptops like that with P4, and are they sold in stores? Which I can probably get for cheaper as I only need a laptop for internet and nothing else.

My suggestion then would be a Netbook. They go quite cheap these days and are made specifically for exactly what you wish to do. Asus and HP make nice Netbooks. Mind you, practically every laptop has a built-in wireless adapter but the internet is not free. You have to find a router source.

Why not just get a wireless adapter for you desktop? And look at acer, asus, and lenevo's stuff. They make excellent budget laptops.

My suggestion then would be a Netbook. They go quite cheap these days and are made specifically for exactly what you wish to do. Asus and HP make nice Netbooks. Mind you, practically every laptop has a built-in wireless adapter but the internet is not free. You have to find a router source.

I meant me connecting to an unsecure network when I need to browse the internet. And I do kinda want a DVD/CD drive... + a bigger screen.

Almost noone sells a new single core laptop or computer. You could probably find a cheap one *new* with a CDC and a 15 inch screen. Or shop ebay (or a local used PC store) and find a single core laptop with a built-in wireless adapter.

I meant me connecting to an unsecure network when I need to browse the internet. And I do kinda want a DVD/CD drive... + a bigger screen.

If I were you i wouldn't do that. They are not secure, and besides your stealing someones internet. Some people monitor that sort of thing and can find out your doing it and you may get in trouble.

If I were you i wouldn't do that. They are not secure, and besides your stealing someones internet. Some people monitor that sort of thing and can find out your doing it and you may get in trouble.

Nope, not the case at all. If a person hasn't put a password on the network, anyone can join legally.

The situation is actually a bit of a grey area regarding insecure wireless networks, and probably depends on what country you're in - it's far from being classed as one way or the other for definite though.

It becomes a bit more clear cut on the illegal side when you break into networks (i.e. cracking WEP keys!) but I'll assume you're not going there!

If you got a wireless adapter though you can still connect to insecure wireless networks the same as if you had a laptop. It sounds like you want something new along the laptop / netbook line though anyway, and if this is the case then I'd recommend a netbook - they're small, cheap and perfect for browsing the internet or doing other everyday things :)

Back
Top Bottom