Not sure which video card to get

JoshM

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm going to get a new computer, but I'm not sure which video card to get.

I'm getting this motherboard:
(939pin Sckt)MSI RS480M2IL ATI Radeon Xpress200 Chipset SATA PCIE w/Video,LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&Audio

And I'm not sure which of these two video cards I should get. These are both around the same price and I don't want to pay much more.
NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD-- Powered by Leadtek
or
ATI RADEON X800 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD

Thanks for any help
Josh

Yeah, I prefer Nvidia too, and I would personally get the 6600GT over the X800, though I was meaning over performance, the X800 would be slightly better

The X700 is the card thats equivilent to the 6600GT

Considering both cards are near the same i'd go with the cheaper one. I was going get a Geforce 6800 when I learned that ATI 9800 Pro does the same job for less.

I have the 9800 Pro, but I'm not happy with it.
I can't shove settings as high as I'd want, and resolutions.
Most games run at about 20-30fps when I shove them up, and I can tell the frame rate is slow (I can't even play Need For Speed Underground at full settings in 3rd person view without the frame rate dropping a load).
The actual point with a higher spec card is that you can do this without worrying about the frames per second and it'll drop much less.
Thats what a new card gets you, plus if its a really old card, it gets you new direct-X versions too for advanced effects (sahders for example)

So saying that the 6800 is the same just doesn't cut it. Yes, its Direct-X 9 still, though you could have much higher resolutions for longer for games, and won't wory as much about settings, which is what it should be about.
Though yes, I wouldn't pay too much for a new card. I'd go about as high as £200 probs, which would get me a decent 6600GT for about £160, and a standard 6800 for around £211

Well the nvidia is only 11$ less, so if the ATI is at all better I'll get that.

To tell the truth, go for Nvidia, honestly :) most games with Nvidia do perform better, and thats not just me saying that...
Nvidias are also easier to overlclock using a program like Coolbits.

This isn't biased either since I have an ATi, and I'm giving you Nivdia as an opinion

i have an nvidia, and im loving it, it runs games no probs, i like it because thats what ive got on my laptop, and i use it all the time, for games/word processing etc...

Back
Top Bottom