not enough power

Dishdog

Fully Optimized
I have already orderd a new PSU, so i will have enough power by friday. i'm just wondering if there isn't enough power for everything to run would parts of the MOBO shut off? My intergraded sound isn't working on my MOBO and it started right after i put the second HDD drive in.

Hmm, in this case then, it is possible yes. If you didn't mention the hard drive, I would have expected it to be the sound chip at fault... though it is possible this could have happened.

By any chance has it been switched off? Go into Bios and check.

At least when you get a new power supply, and it works, you know this was the case :) If not, sound cards are rather cheap now for excellent sound anyway, which would beat any onboard sound available.

I unplugged the HDD for now and..puff it works again. i never knew it could just shut off part of the MOBO like that.

Neither did i... :s

Anyway, it would be intrequing to see if when you got the new power supply and connected it up, it still didn't work, but does when you dissconnect.

I'm sure it will be the power now though so don't worry :p

If you play games though and like your music, I would really think of getting a PCI sound card instead of using that though to tell the truth. It just uses too much CPU time, and quality is very often bad on them.

Maybe...

If you add a device and the power levels get pulled down the system as a whole would be acting up. Go to the device manager and uninstall the sound chip. Reboot and let xp find the sound chip again...

EDIT: Leave the drive connected.

There wasn't anything wrong with the sound chip i checked. right after i unplugged the second HDD and restarted it worked again.

<Edit> i went into device manager just to try what you said. there was a bunch of audio things i didn't know what they were. i couldn't see the motherboard sound part. so i thought it might be best to not screw around with them,lol.

I'm planning to get a sound card for my new PC at the end of july (i have half the parts already).

Back
Top Bottom