Noob Help.

Chat01

Beta member
If someone wouldn't mind answering this for me.
I purchased an HP system at Costco the other day and I have been hesitant to open it. Mostly because I'm not quite sure of what I got or if it will work for what I want it to :confused:
It is an HP p6537c-b with an AMD Phenom II x4 830, 6GB DDR3 memory..
I work off a Macintosh for my daily stuff and I got the HP system mainly for gaming (Flight Sim, Call of Duty..ect) Should this system suffice or should I take it back? If not what would be a good graphic card to purchase for it? (I know the internal one sucks)
Money is not the issue here, just sensibility. :eek:

Thanks

You would definitely need a new graphics card, but the specs themselves don't seem that bad, and are up to par. Quad core, 750GB hard drive (from what I can read up on), 1080P monitor, etc.

I'd get rid of most, if not all of the software HP include installed on the system however. You most likely won't need any of it, and they'd take up quite a bit of that 6GB of RAM whilst running.

You have room to expand to a new PCI-E 16x graphics card, as you'll probably need to with the games you want to run, BUT it only has a 250watt power supply, so even this would have to be upgraded.
That power supply is VERY poor for a new PC like this one.

As Vinman says, for the price, you could probably build one for the price more capable, but it won't take much to get this one running as you want it.

A new power supply and graphics card to run, especially Flight Simulator will knock you back a couple of hundred though easy.

You would definitely need a new graphics card, but the specs themselves don't seem that bad, and are up to par. Quad core, 750GB hard drive (from what I can read up on), 1080P monitor, etc.

I'd get rid of most, if not all of the software HP include installed on the system however. You most likely won't need any of it, and they'd take up quite a bit of that 6GB of RAM whilst running.

You have room to expand to a new PCI-E 16x graphics card, as you'll probably need to with the games you want to run, BUT it only has a 250watt power supply, so even this would have to be upgraded.
That power supply is VERY poor for a new PC like this one.

As Vinman says, for the price, you could probably build one for the price more capable, but it won't take much to get this one running as you want it.

A new power supply and graphics card to run, especially Flight Simulator will knock you back a couple of hundred though easy.

Thank you both..
I tend to let things sit for a day or two after I buy them just in case of buyers remorse or finding something I like better. :eek:
Since I posted this I decided to keep the unit. Also I am fortunate to have a Frys store real close to me so I ran up there and got a EVGA GeForce GTX460 along with a Silent ProM 700w power supply. It was around $300 for both.
I'm sure Ill have more questions later when I try and set this all up :)

Back
Top Bottom