Noisy Graphics Card Fan - best solutions?

Goldstar99

Beta member
Hi,

I opened the case of my PC (HP Pavilion) to identify which fan is making an awful noise and it is the one in the centre of the picture, which I beleive is on the graphics card? I would appreciate any advice on how best to rectify this. Although if feels smooth enough, it makes helluva racket when its running (which is continually). Is this something that most competent repair shops should be able to fix? Thanks! Barry.

That is indeed the graphics card. Get a can of air and try to clean it out as best as you can. If the noise continues, then what may be happening is the ball-bearings in the fan are giving out. In that case, you can have the fan replaced by a repair shop, or you can get an equivalent or better graphics card for probably the same cost.

That's an older card. It appears it has a 60 or 80mm fan with stubby blades. Means it has to go faster to move any air. Like iPwn said could be the bearings giving out.
If you take it to a shop to have it repaired or replaced they are going to suggest just replacing the card. You figure time and materials and you can buy another card online and install it yourself.

If you replace the card with one that is different, remember, go to add/remove programs and uninstall the old divers.
Then reboot. It comes back up in VGA mode and looks ugly as ....
Next take the CD with the drivers for the new card and install them. Shut the computer down. Take out the old card and put in the new.
Boot up and when it finds the new card is will load the new drivers in and you're ready to go.

If you replace the card with one that is different, remember, go to add/remove programs and uninstall the old divers.
Then reboot. It comes back up in VGA mode and looks ugly as ....
Next take the CD with the drivers for the new card and install them. Shut the computer down. Take out the old card and put in the new.
Boot up and when it finds the new card is will load the new drivers in and you're ready to go.

If your really computer savvy, you can even download the drivers online and they will most likely be more up to date :) but most of the time, a card you just newly bought will have the latest drivers on the CD :). But yes if you clean it out and the problem is not solved, you most likely will have to purchase a newer card.

if you are really really computer savvy, go get a corsair h50 and get a bracket for that card and there you go, no fan noise. Btw, replace that case fan screws with rubber mounts too reduce the noise from that one too.

Back
Top Bottom