No Post, Bad Smell, Worked 1 Week Earlier.

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
So I finnaly got my hands on my sisters old pc (as an upgrade to my hp), I know that the computer was very dusty inside, so before I touched anything, I opened it up and spent 30 minutes eventually cleaning *most* of the dust out, I took the cpu fan off the heatsink and proceeded to remove litterally imbedded dust, put it back on, checked all the wires, and then turned it on. It didn't post, but the HDD light was red, I have never seen it red. Also coming from the computer was a burnt plastic smell, I Immediately unplugged it and inspected it, nothing seemed wrong.

Specifications:
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ (Clawhammer)
FIC K8-800T
2GB DDR-400
Visiontek Radeon X1550 256mb
120Gb IDE Seagate Barracuda

I am not familiar with FIC mainboards, but given the smell and red hdd light combonation, I would guess I burnt up the HDD cable.

The computer worked 1 week prior, and I would like to know exactly whats wrong with it before I plug it back in and potentially damage it further.

When you removed the heatsink fan did you remove the heatsink with it? If you did, did you clean both the heatsink and the top of the cpu chip and apply new thermal paste? If you didn't the cpu over heated. AMD cpu's don't have thermal protection. They fry.

As setishock said, if you seperated the heatsink from the CPU and didn't clean off the old and apply new thermal grease there's a good possibility you fried the CPU. You could try and clean/apply new grease now to see if it's possible the CPU survived.

I doubt you fried the HDD cable, that's kind of hard to do.

AMD cpu's don't have thermal protection. They fry.

This is outdated information. If you have a Socket A processor, yes, they do (I have done it too, not pretty.) AMD updated the diode and moved it on-chip starting with the Athlon 64 processors. All recent model AMD chips will shut themselves off to save themselves in the event of a loss of cooling event.

I couldn't figure out how to take the heatsink off, so I left it on, and just took the fan off, then I put the fan back on the heatsink after cleaning the dust out(from inside the case) and pluged the fan in. Its a 754 socket.

I also noted(after the smell kinda died) that the smell was coming from the PSU/upper region and that there were several IDE connectors that had been taped up, maybe the psu is dead?

Back
Top Bottom