New OC'er cant OC q9450

Abel1337

Solid State Member
my mobo is P7N Platinum 750i and my cpu cooler is AC Freezer Cool 7.

I can't get the CPU to go past 2700 MHz (337.5 x 8) and i don't know why.

If i try to go to even 1375 MHz FSB windows either doesn't even start or freezes on the load screen.
pissed.jpg

If i go to 1400 FSB it doesn't even post sometimes.

I tried bringing the voltage over 1.2 at 1375 FSB but it still didn't turn on. I tried playing with the other voltages a bit also but nothing helped.

I also have no idea what my temps are because I don't know the TJMax (and neither does anyone else) for this chip.

I can't figure out how to embed pictures but here's a link to them:

http://picasaweb.google.com/0goober0/Computer

They're all of the very slight OC i managed. No voltages changed, only FSB frequency (up from 1333)

In the first one Realtemp has a TJMax of 85

in the second on 95 and in the 3rd on why does it say the voltage CPU is 1.14 but down below it says the voltage is 1.038?

Also in the first 2 in PC Wizard is says that core 1 and 2 are running at 2700 MHz but the other 2 are only running at a bit over 2000 MHz. It doesn't change even when i run prime95 or CPU intensive stuff. Any idea why that is? also the temp between the first and fourth core is almost always 5 degrees C or more.

Can anyone help me get this thing to OC because i've heard it's very good at it. Also my temps seem to be higher than optimal, any idea why? or does this card just run hotish?

Also if anyone has any information about the TJMax of this card that'd be nice so i can get slightly more accurate temps.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but if your going to tell me to get a better mobo or that this one is no good please just don't post. I've seen people use this board and this chip and OC it just as good as anyone else.

System Specs
Budget: VGA:2x 9600gt Monitor:
MB:MSI P7N Platinum 750i OS:Vist Ultimate 64-bit Browser:
CPU:q9450 Sound: Purpose:
Memory:4GB (2 x 2GB) OCZ SLI-Ready Edition DDR2 800 PSU:CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply Brand:
HD: Cooling:ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler; 4 case fans Misc:

The 750i wasn't a good board for overclocking quads, do you have the latest bios?

The TjMax is 100°C for that cpu.

If you are not raising the vcore enough then your pc will not boot due to lack of voltage. You're pretty safe up to 1.3625v with decent cooling. Are you overclocking the memory as well or using a divider and keeping it at DDR2 800?

PC Wizard is probably not reading your chip correctly because it was written before the cpu was released, I wouldn't worry about it.

Does the cpu MHz read correctly in cpuz, Real Temp, Core Temp etc?

Variance of temperature between cores is normal, sometimes there can be up to 10°C difference, it just depends on the chip.

Your chip (not card) temps are dependent on the cpu cooler you have, which one are you using?

The core sensors are not designed to show idle temps, they're there to monitor load temps and start throttling in case of a thermal event.

You need the later versions of Core Temp (0.99.3) and Real Temp (2.79.8 beta) to get the correct TjMax as the TjMax for 45nm has only recently been released on the Intel Developers Forum and incorporated into the latest versions of monitoring software.

The difference in voltage between the bios and Windows is called vdrop, the difference in voltage between idle and load is called vdroop, all boards do this to a degree, some more than others, I'm not familiar with your bios, is there a setting called Load Line Calibration or similar? If there is it is designed to lessen vdroop when enabled.

Your memory is programmed to the JEDEC standard of 5-6-6-18 at 1.8 vDIMM but has a performance profile of 5-4-4-15 at 2.0 vDIMM if your board supports the use of EPP (Enhanced Performance Profile)

You don't need to disable Speedstep, C1E or EIST to overclock either btw.

Off topic, if your name is Dan why is your user name Jennifer4u, identity crisis much?

lol

:D

Edit: A True Folder pretty much got it. Keep in mind a 45nm quad will run hotter than a 45nm dual.

I've been adding to it still.

I reckon he'll have the stock cooler and it is possibly not mounted correctly, one push pin has released or something.

Guess we have to wait for a reply now.

Back
Top Bottom